Hi to all. I thought I'd show and tell what I've been busy with for the last year. I've been fiddling with sustainable living for quite some time until I saw some Aquaponic systems on Youtube. I've been going to the University of Youtube forever and it's a great place to learn and share ideas. My start in aquaponics was delayed for financial reasons mostly as I didn't have permanent work and every penny was costly. However I did hurriedly construct this.
Please don't laugh. Up until this point I've killed anything I've tried to grow. The grow bed was a 45L wash bucket and is still in use. It in fact grows anything in it better. The stone came from old crushed stone lying around and the bucket came from the local China Shop. The plumbing is all 25mm garden HDPE pipe and fittings, but the pump was bought at the local hardware store in the pet department. We refrained from adding fish just yet and so the kids urinated in it for the first week.
I was really surprised when nothing died. Oh yes the plants were quickly scraped out the garden in the middle of the night. After a week we added some seedlings and I lifted the grow bed onto a new frame and added some more wash buckets. By the end of the month I could see that the plants were doing OK. The fish were alive. I bought a 5 in 1 water tester and checked it on a weekly basis for the next month or so.