1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Ag Dept Biosecurity Alert for WA Vegetable Growers!

Discussion in 'Notice Board' started by Yabbies4me, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Tomato Potato Psyllid found for the first time in Australia, in a number of residential and commercial vegetable crops here in W.A.

It is a known vector of plant viruses and bacterium and has caused extensive damage to commercial crops in other countries, but this is the first time it has been found in Australia.

Over the last few weeks it has been located in a number of commercial market gardens, retail nurseries and res...idential veggie gardens around Perth, including here in Belmont.

Before buying any seedlings, or relocating any susceptible plants, please give them a thorough going over to make sure there aren't any present. Regular inspections should also be carried out on established plants in your garden.

Any suspected sightings should be reported to the Ag Dept of WA immediately - 1800 084 881

Plants in the Solanaceae family are potential hosts and susceptible to damage from this pest, ie:

Tomato
    Potato
    Capsicum
    Chilli
    Egg Plant
    Tobacco
    Cape Gooseberry
    Petunia
    Nightshades, etc.

As are plants in the Convolvulaceae family, ie:

Sweet Potato
    Morning Glory, etc.

Identification: Adults look a lot like small cicadas, or a winged aphid, about 3mm in length, with brownish body and transparent wings held together and vertically above the body. They can be identified by the broad white band around the front of the abdomen and white patch towards the rear of the abdomen.

Please see pics below and Ag Dept WA fact sheet here.

2. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  3. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Yabbies ,
    Appreciate the heads up mate.
    Seems like this sort of thing is happening more and more , Fire ants and White spot in prawns are two recent examples that spring to mind.
    Any word on control measures and how widespread the problem is yet?

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    So far only restricted to Perth metro area. They were found at a Bunnings store near my shop, among other places, including a number of residential and market gardens across the city. Ag dept guys in white suits removed $4k worth of plants from the big 'B' store and sprayed. I don't know how effective any control measures would be, other than introducing some form of natural predator. The range of host plants are so extensive and so common that I personally can't see how they are going stop the spread or eradicate them.