1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Airlift Pump Design

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Denver Vidler, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Denver Vidler

Denver Vidler New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Sunshine Coast
    Glug…gurgle....splash....

Its one week since the 4 day Master Class and Kate and I made our first Airlift pump...Sooo cool to see it work.
    We had 660mm of water in our wheelie bin and were able to lift the water to 1050mm with a flow rate of 22litres per minute.

We had compressed air hooked up, but had the valve just cracked to allow only the smallest amount of air in.

We made it from 40mm PVC. Next we will purchase a small diaphragm pump so we can know exactly the airflow and power usage.

Our goal is to lift water approximately 2400mm with only a pump head of 100mm. From what I have researched this is not possible. However I think I have an idea based on the science of an ice burg structure.

Here are the pictures...

Attached Files:

Kate Tempest likes this.
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Keep at it Denver. They do work. Glad to see you in here.

3. Denver Vidler

Denver Vidler New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Sunshine Coast
    Thanks Murray, Kate and I are very excited about using Air Lift Pumps. This design was our own from understanding the principles. The new design has been nutted out, but it is more sophisticated and it will require a part to be specially machined.

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Keep me posted on how you go with that. Can't you adapt a piece and work it with a Dremel tool.

5. Jayant Bhavsar

Jayant Bhavsar New Member

INDIA
    State:
    Maharashtra
    City:
    Pune
    very nice airlift system