1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics flow rate trouble...

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by TranLThi, Apr 24, 2017.

1. TranLThi

TranLThi New Member

United States
    State:
    California
    City:
    Roseville
    IMG_20170423_134013.jpg Hi all,

New to this website as well as aquaponics! Would appreciate any help/advice you can give. :)

I set up my aquaponics system with 10g fish tank on the bottom, a small table above it and then a 17g grow bed (using floating bed system) on the table. I have a small motor pumping water up into the grow bed on the right and then a tube drilled into the side of the bed on the lower left side flowing water back down into the fish tank.

My issue is I can't seem to get an even water flow. Sometimes the water flows too quickly into the bed making the fish tank lose water too quickly or the tube flowing into the fish tank goes too quickly making it over flow. I've tried adjusting the speed on the motor and taping the left tube and poking holes into the tape to staunch the water flow but no luck yet...

The tubes are 3/8 in. I didn't use any type of valves on the tubes but maybe I should've? How can I fix the tubes to get an even constant flow of water??

Here's a photo of my system.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Ben McGreevy

Ben McGreevy New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Change your return line back to the fish tank to something like a 50mm PVC pipe and position the hole so that the bottom of the pvc is at level with the height you want the water at.
    The larger pipe will be able to handle the fluctuations in flow and keep the water level constant.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Best way is to fit a small tap into the pump line to the grow bed. They don't cost much and you can adjust the flow easily that way. If you choke off the pump too much you may need to fit a bypass line by putting a T fitting before the tap, and a second tap on the branch line. That way you can have what you want going to the FT and the rest going directly back to the FT.

4. Piet Bester

Piet Bester New Member

South-Africa
    State:
    Limpopo
    City:
    Polokwane
    Hi What type of pump are you using? Sometimes the pump is too strong. I had the same problem and had to replace the pump with a smaller one. Then I added a tap on the back flow to regulate the waterflow back to the tank.