1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Bucket Filter

Discussion in 'Filters - How to build - What type -' started by bobjordan, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bobjordan

bobjordan New Member

I've been reading for 6 months but this is my first post to this forum. The filter conversations have been helpful.

I live in Dallas, Texas and have a Murray based Toteponic and a Friendly AP raft system. Murray's design worked well, but the raft system didn't handle all the fish effluent and algae so I built a mechanical filter. It mounts in the Fish Tank on the 2" drain pipe, works well and is easy to remove/install and clean. Thought I'd share it. You can see details for building it on my website,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

2. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Hi Bob,

I was experimenting with a horizontally mounted, cylindrical brush filter and one of the disadvantages of this type of mounting is that only half or so of the filter media actually contacts the water. Unless it is pressurized and/or filled to capacity, it ends up being a lot of wasted filtration surface. I haven't been to your link yet, but maybe your internal design rotates so all of the filter media can eventually be used? Not sure if that would work, but it might delay cleaning cycles if you could rotate a section of clean media into the stream?

I ended up mounting mine vertically to utilize all of the filter surface (I then changed to a box design with horizontal flow, but full capacity). You might also consider brushes - they are very efficient and very easy to clean.

I look forward to reading your article - always looking for better filtration.

Cheers

3. TASSIE BOB

TASSIE BOB New Member

Just to throw my two bob's worth in, as an experiment, I put a 25 litre bucket under the 90mm return from fish tank to sump tank, put a few rocks in for ballast and stuffed a heap of shade cloth in the bucket. The water cleared up a lot over the next couple of days. I just lift the bucket out about once a fortnight, spread the shadecloth on the cement and hose the crap out of it ( literally ) Seriously it takes only a minute to do, stuff the shadecloth back in and replace the bucket. Done. The water just drops onto the shadecloth, penetrates and overflows into the sump tank, trapping the sludge in the cloth. Mind you, it's probably a good job for after lunch, not immediately before.
    Cheers,
    Bob.

4. Hello friends,

Many many thanks for sharing your mechanical filter information, Really the filter conversations have been helpful.

Nice to meet you:cool:
    Harry Potterish

5. kevclark

kevclark New Member

A bucket and rocks bio filter

I have a very simple filter that works like a charm. I have a 20lt bucket and I drilled an outlet hole near the top of the bucket. I took the hose from the pump put it right into the bucket so the water is coming into the bottom of the bucket. I then filled the bucket with 20mm gravel. Water comes into the bottom of the bucket, rises up through the gavel and out through the overflow . Bacteria forms around the rocks and treats the water.

6. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Hi Kevclark,

I have tried similar in a non AP application - can be used with a fish tank or koi pond.

That said, if you are using this in an AP system, what you have successfully created is a bio filter, which can screen some solids, however, this is just a reproduction of what your GB's should be doing for you, only you aren't getting the benefit of any veggies out of the bucket.

7. ZooRod

ZooRod New Member

Hi, I have made a you tube DIY step by step video showing how i built my filter. Feel free to check it out and let me know if it helps http://youtu.be/tt6eMowvuD8

8. mattquaponics

mattquaponics New Member

Hi Rod, thanks for sharing the details of your bio filter, looks great. Can you clear up for me, when previously looking at making bio filters , I've been advised that the bacteria in the filter need an air stone to keep them alive and kicking. Is that necessary or just someone going a little overboard?

9. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

If you are talking about airstones used in an aquarium UG filter, the airstones are required to "lift" water thru the tubes creating flow to draw the water down and through the gravel. In a bucket-type or pond-style filter, I've not seen airstones in use and I have a few of them in place. Now moving bed bio filters do use air to "roll" the media.

Utilizing the GB's as a bio filter does provide the bacteria with oxygen exposure through the flood and drain cycle. Guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

10. mattquaponics

mattquaponics New Member

Thanks Tpilk. I wasn't using the air bubbles to raise the water. Just following advice from the internet and instructions from videos from YouTube (sadly the way most of us seem to learn these days). the thought behid it was that the bacteria also need air, hence the airstones. Seemed to make sense but??? Not all that you see on YT is true.. Plus, I'm happier with another air stone in the fish tank.

11. dakine2448

dakine2448 Member

I use 3 gallon buckets filled with 3/4" cinders and some filter fabric. I just got started in this picture which was taken a couple months ago. They dump into a 200 gallon tank with tilapia in it. My main concern now is to get the tilapia to reproduce. So far no babies.

View attachment 14442

I also thro in some bio balls. I don't really know what I'm doing but the water is very clear since I started using this system. I have other cinder systems that seem to be "doing OK".
    Aloha Jack

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  12. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

What you are doing is very similar to the "pond" filters you see here in Asia. I have modified the same concept for mine, using blue barrels. Many materials and/or combinations of materials can be used for the bio portion. These are simple, inexpensive and really work well. They range in size from 2 or 3 gal buckets, all the way up to 200L barrels.

I don't have time to post a pic right now, but one filter I like incorporates bio and mech actions. It's a 200L barrel, utilizing a bunch of brush (Black Knight) tips cut off from my brush filter project. Water travels through them into some layers of matting (various courseness). The bottom portion has layers of bio balls, bags of pumice and ceramic pieces (all left overs from various projects). I use a standpipe in the barrel to insure the water has some time in the "bio" section before exiting to the GB's.

Really cheap and really effective. I also recommend swirls with a laundry basket full of bio material at the top as well. There have been several posted the past few years. These are cheap and easy to build as well. Are they the best in the business? Probably not, but they will keep your water chemistry in check, as well as keep the FT's clear.

Another design I highly recommend and is also a DIY project are the "radial" filter designs. You can fins these online if you search a bit. A little more work, but very effective. They can be combined with bio material or used in conjunction with a moving bed or other bio filter.

13. dakine2448

dakine2448 Member

This system seems to be working OK. 2 gallon buckets full of lava cinders. Cucs, tomatoes planted direct into the cinders. Water in the main 200 gallon tilapia tank is holding pretty good on clarity. This pic was taken when the system was first installed. Bucket filters.jpg
    Aloha Jack

14. tonillecarr93

tonillecarr93 New Member

South Africa
    State:
    Gauteng
    City:
    Pretoria
    Hi kevclark, I would just like to know what type of grow beds you are doing? I have the exact same type of filter but I am doing dwc grow beds. I think at the moment I don't have enough fish in my tank to sustain my plants and therefore not enough bacteria growth. People keep telling me the inlet for my filter should be at the top and outlet at the bottom but doesn't make sense to me cos then i would have the sediments in my grow beds. I'm still new at the whole aquaponic thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk