1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

can i add seasol after the fish are in the tank?

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by pierre roy, Jun 13, 2014.

1. pierre roy

pierre roy New Member

ive had my fish in the 150lt. tank now for 5 days plants are going good.today I added 1tsp. of seasol to my grow bed.the water turned dark.now im worried about my 3 gold fish.will they be harmed.
    please help.

2. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    No they should be alright. Seasol is harmless to your fish although dramatic changes may upset them so instead of one big addition you could add smaller addition days apart for eg. With a small tank like that only 1/4 tsp would be plenty.
    For eg. Most people might add around 1 tblsp per 1000lt once a week. But I have read people use rather heavy doses when they have fish too.

3. pierre roy

pierre roy New Member

4. pierre roy

pierre roy New Member

thank you for the reply.i was a little worried when I saw the water turn dark.im new to aquaponics.im mostly learning from you tube.but since a stumbled across the forums ill be asking allot of questions.

5. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Is your system cycled? Or is it new and your now cycling?

This forum is an excellent source of information. Try the search option here and read peoples knowledge and experiences. Many Youtubes can be good too but many can be a bit of a waste of time and some made by people who really don't know what they are doing. Many a youtubers just interested in making (look at me TV shows) about themselves.:LOL:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. adrian correa

adrian correa Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Ive added a little too much for the size tank i have and have never lost a gold fish

7. pierre roy

pierre roy New Member

my system is cycled now and the fish don't seem to mind the darker water,i guess I was a little panicked.all is well no worries
    thank you

8. Bill Arnol

Bill Arnol New Member

Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    City:
    Brighton
    Hi I am new to all of this AP so just a very green learner.
    I have a 3000 ltr tank but can't really afford the fish for a little while as the Pension won't let me. So I have had the system running through a sand filter for weeks now and would like to know how much seasol I would put in to be able to use the system until I get fish or should I be using something else.

I hope someone can explain to me how to get started up.

9. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Hi Bill,

Ordinary Seasol has a lot of micronutrients in it but very little nitrogen (urea / ammonia / nitrites / nitrates), which is why it's safe to use with fish in the tank - it supplements micronutrients very well and won't cause ammonia or nitrite spikes. To feed your plants without fish in the tank you need something with nitrogen, like Seasol Powerfeed or Charlie Carp. I'm not sure how much you'd need to add, but someone else might be able to give you numbers - or you could just put in a few capfuls and then test your water over the next few days to see how your levels react. You've got a lot of leeway to play around with since you don't have fish to worry about poisoning, but I'd still start off gently and increase the amount later if you need to; high nitrate levels can affect the taste of some vegetables (I read somewhere that leafy greens can go bitter?) and very high levels can 'fertiliser burn' your plants and either stunt or kill them. ...Also, adding more than a little Charlie Carp at once will make your water smell funky.

10. Bill Arnol

Bill Arnol New Member

Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    City:
    Brighton
    Thanks for that Mel
    I hope someone can also help with some amounts to use of these products
    Cheers
    Bill

11. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Tiny bits. A teaspoon Seasol per grow bed etc. Once a week. That's for a new system. For a 3 year established system with a strong fish stock I don't add any seasol. Just a tad of Iron once a month and Ecolime/calcium. Tiny bits to sustain PH at around 6.5.

Tip: Worms. They end up in your grow beds some way or another anyhow so you can add them eagerly. They really are a catalyst for good organic plant growth.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Bill,

If your system is just in caretaker mode until you get some fish, then as Mel suggested, you will need to add small regular amounts of Ammonia to keep the bacteria alive and ticking over. In this situation Seasol Powerfeed is probably the better option, as it has more Ammonia. It also has a broader spectrum of nutrients for your plants.

The bacteria don't need much Amm to keep the colony ticking over, I would aim for a capful per 500L every 3-4 days. Do the occasional Amm test 24hrs after you add some Powerfeed, if there is Amm showing in the test result, then back it off to longer periods between additions... but I doubt very much you would even get a trace at that rate I quoted.

Once you add fingerlings to the system the bacteria colony will grow rapidly to take care of the extra bio-load. You should test the Amm every day for about 4-5 days after adding them, but you shouldn't see a big spike, if any, in the Amm.

13. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes, you sure can. Wonderful stuff. Also, ordinary Maxicrop is useful used in the same way.

14. AquaStu

AquaStu New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    My system is very basic made from mostly scavenged parts, but the I've got the pump on a timer so it's off at night. During this time, I add a diluted (as per recommendations) seasol mix to the plants in the growbed. This gives the roots a chance to take it up.