1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Catfish food recipe for impoverished village

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Philip East, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Philip East

Philip East New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Greetings, I am a volunteer community development worker in a poor village with poor land in Indonesia's North Sulawesi. We have had success growing Moringa and Catfish. However, catfish pellets are expensive and we have to get them from 2 hours away. I am after catfish food recipes I can make up - preferably with moringa. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Phil

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Philip,
    If you search the forum you may find some recipes. I can vaguely recall someone posting things like that.

3. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Hi Phil,

You might also be able to supplement with worms and other live food - a lot of people have good success with Black Soldier Fly larvae.

4. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

In this part of Indonesia (Sukabumi, West Java), the main diet of catfish is dead chicken (mortalities free from chicken farms) and fish guts (free from chicken slaughterhouses); no preparation needed, just throw them in the ponds and the catfish will take care of the rest.