1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bigdaddy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi everyone,

I've read a bit about channel catfish in the US and I believe it is a superb fish to eat.

Can anyone tell me why we do not hear a lot about it in Australia?

Is it classed as a pest?

Cheers.

2. orcy2010

orcy2010 Guest

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Thanks Orcy,

Now I know,it looks like it's the Tandanus for catfish then.

Cheers.

4. Domonix

Domonix New Member

yea the forktails taste horrible, however the eel tails have a really nice texture and flavour to them, they get my vote for the best tasting freshwater fish.

5. TheNative

TheNative New Member

Catfish is one of my favorite fish as far as taste goes. Just had some yesterday. Breaded and fried... Mmmm...

6. Swamp Creek Farms

Swamp Creek Farms New Member

I've got channel cats, speckled cats, bream and bass in my AP system. Took them from the pond. Been catching these little warmouth about 1 inch, perfect for the system. I wanna add some of them and see how long they take to grow. The bass and cats would eat them. But they taste great ! Fried a mess of them up sat. night.

Wish we could trade fish. I can't get any thing else local. Tilapia are too far away and semi restricted. Never had barra, is that right ?

7. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    where can I get a few channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, to trial my small pond?
    I'm from Melbourne, Australia

much grateful if you can direct me....thanks a bunch

8. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Short answer: You can't. (n)

Long answer: Unfortunately channel catfish are a declared noxious species in Australia, and are illegal to import or own: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fishe...-diseases/noxious-aquatic-species-in-victoria

9. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    thanks Mel,
    the #1 fish in the fish farming industry in America is not allowed in Australia, it's no wonder Australia is always behind :D

okay, so where can I get a few small Bluefin Tuna to trial my tanks?