1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bigdaddy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi everyone,

I've read a bit about channel catfish in the US and I believe it is a superb fish to eat.

Can anyone tell me why we do not hear a lot about it in Australia?

Is it classed as a pest?

Cheers.

2. orcy2010

orcy2010 Guest

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Thanks Orcy,

Now I know,it looks like it's the Tandanus for catfish then.

Cheers.

4. Domonix

Domonix New Member

yea the forktails taste horrible, however the eel tails have a really nice texture and flavour to them, they get my vote for the best tasting freshwater fish.

5. TheNative

TheNative New Member

Catfish is one of my favorite fish as far as taste goes. Just had some yesterday. Breaded and fried... Mmmm...

6. Swamp Creek Farms

Swamp Creek Farms New Member

I've got channel cats, speckled cats, bream and bass in my AP system. Took them from the pond. Been catching these little warmouth about 1 inch, perfect for the system. I wanna add some of them and see how long they take to grow. The bass and cats would eat them. But they taste great ! Fried a mess of them up sat. night.

Wish we could trade fish. I can't get any thing else local. Tilapia are too far away and semi restricted. Never had barra, is that right ?

7. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    where can I get a few channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, to trial my small pond?
    I'm from Melbourne, Australia

much grateful if you can direct me....thanks a bunch

8. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Short answer: You can't. (n)

Long answer: Unfortunately channel catfish are a declared noxious species in Australia, and are illegal to import or own: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fishe...-diseases/noxious-aquatic-species-in-victoria

9. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    thanks Mel,
    the #1 fish in the fish farming industry in America is not allowed in Australia, it's no wonder Australia is always behind :D

okay, so where can I get a few small Bluefin Tuna to trial my tanks?

10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Bluefin tuna? Not possible in a home AP system.

11. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    Yes, Murray.....BFT probably not suitable for aquaponic. just had a number of discussions with the regulators, and that special permits are needed to fish farm each noxous species. sounds like a lot of red tapes only. why most Aussie states prohibit the most breed-able (easy to breed) such as African catfish, Nile tilapia, and carp, and classified them as noxous species. It's of no wonder Australia is so behind in aquaculture, even third world developing nations such as Vietnam, China, etc are well ahead of Australia. Australian regulators need to loose up, some of us want to breed fish species that have a global market, not just the tiny Australia market.

anyways, this is a awesome site for education. where can I get more info on RAS and incorporated into aquaponic system?

12. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    CharlieX why on Earth would we want to import fish ? when we already have some of the best fish in the world? beside we dont have diseases like rabies here because we are strict with what we can import , and most of those fish you mention would be a massive risk of them escaping into the wild and becoming huge pests, wiping out our native and IMHO superior breeds of fish
    so we are NOT backward at all mate! i think you americans could learn a lot from us !!!!

Yabbies4me likes this.
  13. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!...

Here's just a few reasons:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-12/tilapia-infestation-in-south-east-queensland/7690180

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/european-carp-public-enemy-no-1-in-the-murraydarling-basin/news-story/1e1c77892fa7f8dafc1cca6ddc1daac5

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-04/prawn-virus-white-spot-disease-spreads-queensland/8161410

14. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    it won't be in my lifetime or your lifetime that America could learn from Australia; America has been the leader country for longer than yours and my existence on this planet, since its declaration of independence from England in 1776. And America has carp issues too, but they're not crazy like Australians who want to spend $15 million of our tax payers money to kill off a fish species that evolution has designated for survival. many enterprising Americans have became multi-millionaires because of the carp issues. Why couldn't more Australians not learn something from these millionaires with the carp issues in this country?

base on my recently investigation into aquaculture in Australia, there are too many red tapes, too many gate keepers, too many coach experts, and too few support for growing the aquaculture industry in this country. Australia certainly DO NOT have the superior breeds of fish species in this world, if that's base on your experience then you certainly have not taste much outside this island nation.

as said in the Jurassic movie, "life will find its way" so why worry about them escaping to the environment. carp, tilapia, catfish, and so on were brought to Australia against their will? it's not their fault that they are superior survivors than the Australian native fish species.

tilapia would be an ideal fish for aquaponics :)

15. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    a good thing tilapia are going strong on this country. though it's just moronic to have regulations telling people what they can and cannot eat a fish.

let's hope that carp will live on, and Australians are not dumb enough to believe the scientists who develop the virus that only carp will be kill. it's the same as saying let's develop a virus to kill only those humans whose heritage is from England to Australia and the rest of the humans in Australia will not get the virus. these scientists want the money, that's why the're advocating to use the virus. The virus must be so smart that it will know which human came from England, which one came from India, and so on?

with such a high security concern, why did the farms not treated the water from the source before send to the prawn ponds? they must not heard of UV, ozone, and so on for water treatment? it's always easier to blame someone else, but yourself in this prawn case? and if Australia would be able to farm enough to feed itself, then there would be no need to import.