1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Chooks, foxes and rats

Discussion in 'Chooks' started by BenjaminHD, Apr 6, 2014.

1. BenjaminHD

BenjaminHD New Member

I've been pretty keen on getting chooks for a while now. The boss isn't keen because she had chooks around when she was growing up and there was always rats.

I'm also a bit concerned about foxes.

I get that I can build or buy an enclosure with a mesh floor to keep the foxes out but what about keeping the rats away?

Even if I make sure the food scraps left out are kept to a minimum, will we get rats? Any suggestions to keep them away?

2. andyholloway

andyholloway Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Nunderi
  3. Gbanger

Gbanger New Member

Aus
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth Hills
    Hiya Ben, my tip is to make sure you bury the wire 300mm into the ground and cover the entire enclosure or build a hutch to lock them in at night if you are in a fox area.
    Foxes show no mercy. Rats and mice I bait. Bandicoots are the main pest now but I can live with that.