1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial farm in Hong Kong gets organic certification for both fish and plants.

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Murray, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    A wonderful project in Hong Kong built by our colleague Waterfarmers of Toronto Canada. The farm has been up and running for a few months now and has just obtained organic certification for both the fish and the vegetable side. Our FloMedia methodology is the basis of the design criteria.

The group is the "Evergreens Republic" and their slogan is "Redefining Freshness."

I am sure you all will be most interested to see a new project up and running.

These farms are trailblazers and need our utmost admiration.
    Organically certified Aquaponics farms are happening. More and more will be seen over time.

HongKong-EvergreensRepUSDA.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...........................................................................................
    :thumbsup2:

3. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Very Nice!!

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I didn't have time to comment properly yesterday Murray. That's a great looking set-up they have. The plant growth looks very healthy and very uniform, they've obviously got it working well. What are they using as fish feed that they were able to obtain organic certification?

5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I have had some personal emails doubting the Organic certification of the farm in this post. I have emailed the person in charge to get clarification and will post what I discover as soon as I get the info.

And about 6 hours later I heard back from the people involved and see next paragraph.......

I have heard back from the people involved. The vegetable side is 100% certified. The fish side is under "probation" for certification. I apologise for any confusion created. It is still a very, very good accomplishment by this farm. I hope they can get over the line for the fish side.

ECDDan likes this.
  6. Candra Rusly

Candra Rusly New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    West Nusa Tenggara
    City:
    bima
    Is it possible to visit their farms ? I have plans to visit my family in HK in May, and i wanted to see their farm if possible, i tried to email them about it, but havent got any reply yet.

I'm very interested in commercial aquaponics, but unfortunately i havent had any luck seeing an actual one, it's still rare to even heard of aquaponics here in indonesia.

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Candra, You need to go to your personal details and insert your country, state and city. This is very important.

Re the farm,
    I am not at liberty to give out their address...sorry
    Now that they have organic certification they are reluctant to have dozens of people tramping through their greenhouses.....biosecurity and all that.
    One of these days soon I am hoping we can organise a trip there and perhaps a group tour, but it is very much up to the farm owners.

8. Candra Rusly

Candra Rusly New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    West Nusa Tenggara
    City:
    bima
    I can understand such concerns, it's common in most industry, i think many would like such tours.

I'm from Bima, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. I'm using tapatalk software in android to access this forum, i'm still rather awkward using this so i cant find the profile page yet, sry.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Excellent, Thanks for adding your location.

10. Bobn80

Bobn80 New Member

USA
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    Irving
    I spoke to some organic certifying agents in the states (around August 2014) in preparation to set-up my business (still in progress) about USDA organic certification. From the conversation I had it did not sound difficult for to certify the produce side (they estimated that it should take no more than 4 months unless you have problems), however the USDA did not at the time have any organic standards or requirements for fish and so fish could not be classified as organic. Now that was several months ago and I could be remembering wrong, or things could have changed.

I actually contacted four different companies that do organic certifications. I was trying to make sure that they all were saying something similar. Here are a couple additional tid-bits I received in my conversations:
    • the fish feed did not have to be 100% organic
    • they want to see algae growth in the system because that tells them the system is working right...
    • things would be basically good as long as anything that contacts the water is FDA approved (pumps, tanks, rafts, etc)
    • duckweed is very pervasive and you can end up finding it all over your system (fish tanks, grow beds, pumps, tubes, etc) the agent that told me this said that every grower that sought organic certification that had this said that it was more trouble than it was worth due to maintenance

11. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    Great news to hear from our asian neighbor in singapore! Here in the philippines it is impossible to get organic certification for now. The simple reason is that we don't have any standards to base it on. hehe. Hopefully, the benefits of aquaponics will be noticed by the government and we will soon have a national standard for it.

The other good news is about the Asean Integration that is happening right now. So maybe I won't have to wait that long before we will see aquaponics produce that can be organically certified here in the Philippines. Woohoo!

12. toffee

toffee New Member

State:
    California
    City:
    Palm Desert
    Please share the name of those companies for certification? I am also looking into doing it. Thanks

13. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Toffee,
    It would be good if you would go to your details and insert your location, town state and country please.
    Re the certification. What do you want to know, the name of the certifier or the farm?
    The farm, I am not at liberty to give you their contact details without asking them first.

14. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Went up to Hong Kong a few weeks back to film at the farm. Wonderful farm going really well. Now just at the end of two years of operation.
    The farm was built by Arvind V of Waterfarmers, Toronto Canada. Arvind V is a student of mine, and the client also graduated from our training we delivered in Pescadero California three years ago.
    Got some fantastic video that will go into our upcoming on-line Aquaponics Design Course.

Farm is built around CHOP 2 design methodology.

2014-06-24 21.01.44.jpg

2014-07-03 19.27.18.jpg

ArvindHongKong-4.jpg

15. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Sensational stuff !
    What species of fish do they use Murray and approximately how many fish do you think they have in the system?
    Cheers

16. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    They have grass carp and Koi.
    Don't know the stocking density....sorry. Did not ask that question. Should have.

17. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Are the fish used for consumption or purely as fertiliser generators?
    That system looks amazing , really demonstrates how aquaponics on a large scale is not only a legitimate agricultural method but also a viable business proposition.
    Really impressive!

JaydenTan likes this.
  18. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Grass carp and koi? We are switching to Koi in our system this year. They are very hearty and have good resale value after growing them out.

Mike

19. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    This farm does not sell or process any fish at this time. Eventually Koi ...possibly.
    Interesting fact. This farm got environmental approval easily because they do not need a sewerage disposal licence. Aquaponics practised as a closed loop system does not need to dump waste water whereas some of the other commercial methodologies trumpeted around these days need to dump out of wack nutrient rich water. Virtually impossible to get approval for a new hydro farm or Aquaculture facility in HK these days without jumping through very difficult environmental requirements around dumping waste water.

Ben McGreevy likes this.
  20. Marcel

Marcel New Member

Malawi
    State:
    Central
    City:
    Lilongwe
    Very impressive. Is that kurly kale in a DWC trough?