1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime New Member

United States
    State:
    New York
    City:
    Bronx
    Hey guys i am fairly new to the aquaponics method of farming but i have been doing some research on it and i am very interested in investing in this method of farming. I have been trying to find information on crop yields of certain crops like
    Basil
    Bean
    Bok Choy
    Brocolli
    Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cauliflower
    Chives
    Cucumber
    Lettuce (per head)
    Okra
    Pak Choi
    Pumpkin
    Sweet Pepper
    Squash
    Tomato

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated and what types of insecticides can be used also.Thank You.

2. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall New Member

Canada
    State:
    BC
    City:
    Kamloops
    May I suggest a course in aquaponics? The use of pesticides will kill your fish and crash your system. As far as yields, that is something I am interested in and will be doing research to those ends when I get my test system up and running. Good luck.

3. DanaPT

DanaPT New Member

us
    State:
    ca
    City:
    laguna
    I've been running my system since aug 2016. It's a small grow space (2 2x4 grow trays) and NFT It's now Feb, and everything is going really well. I've used neem oil but sparingly to keep bugs at bay. Usually i observe those leaf eaters and pick out.

For my short summer, I had a steady stream radish, lettuce, chili pepper and basil. IN fall/winter had more lettuce, swiss chard, dill, cauliflower, broccoli.

Mind you I'm not gathering baskets of food. But it sure is nice to plan a meal around fresh herbs and vegetables.

currently my cauliflower and cabbage want to bolt. I've planted new seedlings and will give them another try. Chard is doing killer as are the strawberry.

The fish are also doing well. Growing nicely. I am trying to motivate my son in doing some basic research (catch weigh/measure and release), but I may have to do on my own. So far no tasty tasty on the fish waiting for a 1 year anniversary fish fry.

I practice an idea of plant rotation and variety. That is I have a variety of different plants at different stages growing. ABS (always be seeding) is my motto. I grow seedlings in dirt outside. I move them from a seedling container to peat moss grow pods (dislodge soil from roots). the roots establish nicely in the moss plods. I plug the pods into nets and they grow further on the filtration trays. After the roots expand, I will then remove the net and will either place in the AP grow trays or transplant to my dirt garden.

If you ABS, you always have small seedlings for all the grow trays.

Good luck with your projects.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Optimus Prime, and welcome to the forum,

I do my aquaponics as a hobby and don't worry about the yields, so in short, I can not answer your question. When it comes to commercial, as you would no doubt be aware there is a whole new lot of boundaries to explore.

I would suggest, as you are doing, to construct a small test system and learn how to drive it first, whilst you are doing all your commercial research. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and we'll do our best to answer them.

Good luck.

Cheers.