1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Dacron Filter issue

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Tadann, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Tadann

Tadann New Member

United States
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Berryton
    I saw the idea about using Dacron to build a filter and decided to give it a try. I ordered Dacron on line it was 48" wide and about 1/2" thick I cut it in strips that I folded and placed in a bucket with a hole to drain. I installed it in the evening and when I went out the next morning I had several dead fish. I removed the filter and pumped the water as low as I could and put in fresh then repeated that. The fish continue to die, I have lost over 150 so far. I thought I would post this and see if I could get any recommendations.

2. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Wouldn't think your filter caused the deaths

System details and history and some photos will help

Whats your source water

How reliable is your power

What fish do you have , has it been too hot / cold for the species you have

Most likely causes when you get mass deaths are power outages , high ammonia with high ph , nitrite spikes (follow ammonia) disease brought on by stress .

3. Tadann

Tadann New Member

United States
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Berryton
    The system has been up for three years, the water source is stable, there has been no power outages. The temperature prior to and after loosing the fish was a fairly consistent 72 degrees. The fish are blue tilapia. As stated earlier I added the filter in the evening and the next morning I had several dead. I have not lost a fish for some time now and the filter has been the only change recently. My thoughts are that the Dacron was possibly treated with a fire retardant, I bought it on ebay and haven't tracked down the manufacturer yet.

4. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Tadann,
    I've done some research and found many Dacron manufacturers coat their product with anti fungal treatments . Many use antimicrobial treatments to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi responsible for creating unpleasant smells and stains in the textile and plastic products they sell.
    Problem is it's very toxic to aquatic life.
    Cheers.

5. Tadann

Tadann New Member

United States
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Berryton
    That makes sense. With that being said I'm hoping that draining and rinsing the system out does the trick. I liked how the filter worked and would like to use something similar. Does anyone know of a reliable place to purchase Dacron or know of something similar that would work? Thank you for your time.