1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have a bad flow rate out of my fish tank?

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Mike Guidry, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mike Guidry

Mike Guidry New Member

United States
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Fresno
    I am concerned about my flow rate out of my CHOP 2 system fish tank. The main issue I have is that my fish tank will overflow and I don't know why. I have a valve to control the flow rate, but even at it's lowest setting at some point it seems to be overflowing. I don't know if I need more, or bigger, outgoing pipes, or if the outlet holes are too high.

I also have considerable algae growth in the fish tank, can that be because of a low flow rate? I know sun exposure is the main issue regarding algae growth, but does flow rate matter?

I have two outlets using 1 inch (25 mm) pipe, merging to a 1 inch pipe that runs to the sump.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. pushbroom

pushbroom New Member

United States
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    Dallas
    I would increase the drain pipe diameter...specifically the horizontal one where the two merge. I'm no physicist and am not well-studied in fluid dynamics, but I would assume that in effect you have only one drain pipe as they are arranged currently since the pipe diameters are the same. You could start by increasing that lower pipe, but I would go ahead and change the pipe all the way up. If you're able, removing any elbows in the line will also speed up the flow rate. As far as algae goes I would recommend covering the tank...in nature algae grows even in fast-moving water (on river rocks, etc) so I'm not sure flow rate in a tank could possibly prevent it. Your best bet IMO is robbing it of the energy from the sun that it needs to grow. You could use a grow bed to do so in order to maximize the space potential, and paint the sides of the tank. Do you raise fish that eat some of the algae? Are the fish so large that they would eat shrimp if you added some?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk