1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Soulkreed

Soulkreed New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mount Eliza
    Hi guy's, does anyone know of anyone in melbourne who has estuary perch fingerlings available. I heard on another forum that the Wartook fella was doing them but now is no longer in business, his website is dead and he does not respond to emails etc.

2. Soulkreed

Soulkreed New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mount Eliza
    Did some googling and found a hatchery in Narooma that has Estuary Perch fingerlings available.

I sent them an email ( below is email )

Hi guy's, I am interested in purchasing some estuary perch fingerlings for my aquaponics system. I have read your minmum order quantity of 100 fingerlings. I have also read your FAQ and see that you no longer freight, I live in Melbourne and was wondering if I could perhaps drive up and collect them and drive back with them, just wondering how long it will take to get to you guy's and where exactly is the petrol station that you talk about for picking them up etc?

There may be some other people on the forum interested in getting some too so I will post your information on the board so people can order them also.

Are the fingerlings available all year round?

Are they any cheaper if ordered by the thousands?

Do they come weened on pellets?

Do you know of anyone else growing them in aquaponics systems?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards

Here is their link
    http://www.narooma-aquaculture.com.au/Products.htm

3. Soulkreed

Soulkreed New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mount Eliza
    Got a reply from the hatchery ( see below )

we have just sold out of estuary perch and the next lot should be available in December
    they are not weaned onto pallets
    I haven't heard of anyone else growing them in a aquaponics system
    regards Bruce

Narooma Aquaculture Pty Ltd
    P O Box 417
    Narooma NSW 2546
    Ph 02 44762840
    Mob 0409584077
    http://www.narooma-aquaculture.com.au/NaroomaAquaculture.htm

I will most likely get some in December but will have to do some research in the meantime as to how you ween fish onto pellets and what water temperatures are best for Estuary Perch etc.
    If anyone else is interested in getting some we may be able to work something out, I will drive up there and pick them up and could possibly deliver them to you at a meet point somewhere in Melbourne as Im coming back to the mornington peninsula.
    As far as I know I have not heard of anyone else growing Estuary Perch in an aquaponics system ( mine will be an autopot un recirculated system )

I am aware that this may be unchartered territory and may not be the best fish to start with for my first AP system but I am excited about that fact and also because I have a love for them as I used to fish for them in venus bay in the river there and they are great fighters and really good table fair. ( respect ) Also they are a local species and I would love it if I could successfully grow them as there may be a market for them as they are now no longer fished for commercially etc.

4. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Just talk to them on the phone.

Try Glenwaters Fish Hatchery in Vic too. I got my fish from there.

and check this.http://aquaponics.net.au/forum/threads/hatcheries-in-victoria.5146/
    I like the sound of these estuary perch.
    Fish like this are definitely interesting to any local Aquaponic enthusiasts . Guys I know go fishing Vic/SA boarder and catch a perch in estuaries that I haven't been able to get a definition of. I'd like to know more about.:cool:

5. Soulkreed

Soulkreed New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mount Eliza
    thanks Dancraft, I sent Glenwaters an email tonight.
    They are definately an interesting fish and seeing they are a local species I'm keen as to grow them.

Checked out your system, sweet rig bro.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Cheers. Keep us posted on this Perch.:cool:
    This aquaponics experience for me has been impressive results all the way.
    It is micro farming that out dose dirt gardening 4 to 1 at least in my experience.

7. Soulkreed

Soulkreed New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mount Eliza
    Will do mate.

8. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Soulkreed,
    Cool choice of fish , EP are one species I wish would work for me . Their great eating qualities and relatively low numbers in the wild are great reasons to want to farm them . I'm told like their very close relatives bass , they are slower growing species in captivity and they are a very predatory species which can make them a little harder to feed pellet food . High density stocking will help with that , causing the fish to feed more aggressively but slowing growth rate and raising disease risk... Catch 22's that will take some thinking to work around . Still a very intriguing prospect and one I would be very interested in seeing come to fruition . Good luck ! Hope it works out for you , and please keep us posted
    Cheers.

9. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Danscraft,
    Can you get a pic of the fish your mates are catching .I'll try to help I.D. it for you. I'm always on the lookout for new native species to try .
    Cheers

A note for everyone reading this :
    If your contemplating catching fish for your aquaponics system there are a couple of issues that hinder keeping fish you get from the wild. Remember all relevant size and bag limits still apply to "wild caught" native fish even if kept in tanks also when relocating adult fish , stress , disease and feeding issues will occur. They will "freak out" every time you go near them they may introduce disease to your system and they will not automatically eat pellets if at all. They have eaten natural occurring live foods their entire life that you may not be able to supply in the required quantities. I don't have any issues with people catching fish to eat or keep if done responsibly but from my experience translocating adult wild fish doesn't work and all you achieve is not only a dead fish but a waste of food and one less breeding animal in the waterway from which they were harvested . I hate seeing our less and less common native fish die for no reason. Hatchery bred fish are the best way to go.

iii

David Appleby likes this.
  10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Well said Ringer.