1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

First Build in Jakarta

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Mark L, May 6, 2017.

1. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    So I bit the bullet and have started a build using tote tanks. Its a bit tatty, but it will do for now, as the aim is to help me to learn Aquaponics.

Started it off at work, so everything was easy and I got plenty of help. Got it all trucked to the house today, and have it laid out pretty much how it will be. Will install the piping tomorrow and get the water pumping.

I have a bunch of seedlings sprouting ready to go in, nothing that cant be ditched if they dont do too well while the system is building up. Getting water test kits in Jakarta has proved impossible, so I have a couple coming over from Australia (still in the post), and another set being brought over from Singapore by a friend next week.

I aim to get the piping done, then just keep the water cycling and get a water reading as soon as possible. I am using bore water to which I have added a small amount of urea (ammonia has also been difficult to source).

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Below are a few photos. Nothing special and nowhere near as nice as some of the systems I have seen on here, but should help me up the learning ladder.

IMG_4077.JPG IMG_4078.JPG IMG_4079.JPG IMG_4080.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4091.JPG IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4098.JPG

trendstate likes this.
  2. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk New Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    good stuff - starting big !

3. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    What a day! Been installing all the plumbing, and fighting the rain. Had some issues, the main being with the auto syphon. Its still not working properly, but next week will run it through a 4" surge pipe as the media bed is higher than the sump.

I have all 1" pipework, so having mixed results when the pipes go underground and then up into the surge tank. The 1" drain on the fish tank is also slow, so may need to be increased to 2".

Been an enjoyable day though, which will be well rounded off with a curry and a cold beer (fish dinners to come soon hopefully!!)

IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4105.JPG

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...:thumbsup2:

5. JaydenTan

JaydenTan New Member

Malaysia
    State:
    Johor
    City:
    Johor Bahru
    Thumbs to you, Mark!

6. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Another rainy day, and another step up the learning ladder. We redid the pipework, changing all drains to 2". We also lifted the media bed by one block width.

Auto syphon is working, water change per bed is around 3 per hour, so I'm happy.

What went wrong. Well who said you should wash the Hydroton before putting it in a media bed? Wish the wife had told me. Her fault, and I'm sticking to it. Shut off the water to the fish tank, and now running clean water through the hydroton until its cleared up some. Will test the water tomorrow and see how its been affected.

Few photo's from the day:

IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4116.JPG IMG_4117.JPG IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4119.JPG

7. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    First water tests:

pH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5 ppm
    There are no plants, fish or any additives yet. Have not been able to find Seasol or any other types of seaweed extract in Jakarta yet, so any ideas for other additives to help bring the levels to the correct range would be welcome.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Peeponics!...

Seasol Powerfeed is preferred, as it contains more much Ammonia than standard Seasol and a broader cross spectrum of nutrients to get seedlings kicking off. Std Seasol is the next best option, but in lieu of that, peeponics will do it.

Just make an "addition" to the system every day, measure the Ammonia 24hrs later, repeat as required until the Amm reaches 1.0ppm - 2.0ppm

9. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Aaah, to pee or not to pee!

I do have some urea, too, so will add that. Going to have to be a bit careful not to get caught peeing in the system, might get me in trouble with the wife who wont want to eat anything grown in it! :woot:

10. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Five days later, no peeponics, but have added some urea over the past few days, and now have the following results:

pH: 8.4
    Ammonia: 1 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm

Time to start adding plants?

11. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Well, nearly two month down the line and things are looking good. Put some Japanese cucumber in, tomatoes, lettuce and bok choy. Wasn't expecting too much the first time around, and the bok choy certainly hasn't done well. Tomatoes are flowering but yet to show any fruit, however the cucumbers have gone crazy.

Photo's taken this morning:

IMG_4295.JPG IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4297.JPG IMG_4298.JPG