1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Tony Iannella

Tony Iannella New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Seaton
    I have lost 4 fish, silver perch over a period of 3 weeks this morning I found another
    so I have removed all the fish and placed them in a smaller tank with a fresh lot od water loaded with salt 5 pp. I will build this upto 10pp over the next few days.
    I have uploaded 2 pictures, If any one can tell me what it is and how I can avoid it in future.

1000 litre IBC setup with sump and 3 grow beds.
    PH was 6.8 to 6.9, Ammonia just registering, nitrite nil and nitrate around 40. Water looked clean other than a light build up of algae on the walls

Much appreciate any comments.

Attached Files:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Very bad fungal and bacterial infection. The salt bath needs to be alternated. I kg per 1000 ltrs for 24 or 48 hours, then complete water change to fresh water for 24 to 48 hours, then back again. You may have to keep that up for a month for them to completely heal. Some may not heal and will die anyway....sorry.....those that you photographed are pretty far gone before finally expiring.

The other effective treatment is to use condy's crystals (potassium permanganate) 1/3 teaspoon to 1000 ltrs. Condy's crystals strip oxygen out of the water so loads of aeration, I mean......loads of aeration for the treatment. Water will turn purple in colour but the product is broken down by sunlight as it oxidises so it will be gone on about 24 hours. Condy's crystals is an anti bacterial so should only be done in a hospital tank. Do not be tempted to up the dose, it will end in disaster if you do.

Malachite green is a very, very effective treatment for the condition of your fish. You can buy it in solution at most aquarium shops....BUT....it is believed to be carcinogenic and renders the fish not suitable for human consumption.

How clean is your water?
    How long have you had the fish

3. Tony Iannella

Tony Iannella New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Seaton
    Hi Murray
    I have had the fish for about3 months now
    As I transferred the fish to the salt bath I inspected each fish and there were no signs of the infection in any of the others, certainly not visible like the one in the picture, the other 3 that died did not look like this one either, the others showed no signs so I put it down to stress, until I saw this last one. The condys crystals, where can I but that from and do I just do the one treatment. Does the condys crystals affect the plants, I can isolate the FT from the GB's
    I have already drained the FT and filled it with fresh water so I can put them back there and do the treatment then redrain and fill again.

4. Tony Iannella

Tony Iannella New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Seaton
    Ooops , where can I buy the crystals from

5. Tony Iannella

Tony Iannella New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Seaton
    I saw Gold X Potassium Permanganate 50g from a chemist , disinfects and deodorises is this the same .

As for water, the water was a tea color, I could still see the fish at the bottom of the IBC tank, certainly not crystal clear.

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Tony, That is the same stuff. Isolate the tank if doing the Condy's Crystals. Because it kills bacteria and fungi you don't want to be pumping it through your grow beds. Just one treatment does the trick most times, but keep the salt alternation going for several days.
    Please remember not to overdo the Condy's Crystals and loads and loads of air into the tank while this treatment is done. Mix the crystals in a bucket first to completely dissolve them before adding to the hospital tank water.

Just a comment, OMHO it is almost impossible, long term, to successfully run an AP system without a second tank available to you. Makes dealing with these kind of events much easier.

LOADS OF AIR NEEDED.

7. Tony Iannella

Tony Iannella New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Seaton
    Your absolutely right there Murray, I will get another IBC tank ASAP and set it up so i can Isolate it. I can use it to store top up water until its needed as a hospital tank.
    A question on the water that has had the Condy's treatment run thru it, can that water be used on lawns / vegetable gardeds ( in soil ), or is it better to run it elsewhere.

8. Bishy23

Bishy23 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Wycheproof South
    Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk