1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Fish not as active as before

Discussion in 'Fish' started by uqji, Mar 21, 2017.

1. uqji

uqji New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    I have 11 silver perch and 5 goldies in my IBC tank.
    A couple of weeks ago the perch are very active during feeding. A teaspoon of pellets were gone in less than a minute.
    In recent weeks my silver perches become shy and seldom show any excitement to the fish food. The food still be gone a after quite a while though.

Is this due to the cooler temperature in Perth, or should I be concerned? The chemical readings are normal.

Ji

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Ji,

I've found that Silvers don't really stop feeding until the temp reaches 13C or lower... I don't know of anyone in Perth that has water even close to that temp yet... What is yours?

You say your readings are normal... What are they?... What are the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?

Cheers!

Danscraft likes this.
  3. uqji

uqji New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    PH=7.6
    Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate = 0

Tested yesterday. My plants are doing really well so I am not too worried about the bacteria.

4. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi uqji
    Try a " starve " day once a week. It's good for your system and the gut function of your fish also. Fish will only expend as much energy as necessary to survive . If food is abundant then they will save energy and slow down. When you fed next don't dump the whole portion in at once add a few pellets at a time , it should increase feeding aggression. Over feeding will cause fish to eat slowly and act in a listless manor.
    All this is assuming your water is healthy and at a suitable temp. Poor water quality and low dissolved oxygen levels would also cause fish to not feed properly and general inactivity.
    Cheers

Danscraft likes this.
  5. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Its also about competition numbers. The more mouths to feed in a tank rises the anxiety. 11 fish in an IBC is low, kinda.
    I actually have around 60 in a fully filled IBC that is for my biggest system. At least 10 being 500- 600grams plus. That's extreme levels really I have to be careful. You can never throw enough pellets in that tank and stand back when you do or get splashed. Any time day or night.
    I have two other small systems with say 8 fish in 450lt tanks. They are more relaxed. They really don't need to compete as hard.

6. uqji

uqji New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    I reduced my feeding amount by halve and it helps a lot. I guess I did a little overfeeding before.
    Pretty sure the suckers were not shy but just fed and lazy.