1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Suppliers in Indonesia

Discussion in 'Hatcheries - fish suppliers - Trout - Perch - Cod ' started by Mark L, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of any fingerling fish suppliers inIndonesia (Jakarta area), and what types of fish would most likely be available?

Thanks in advanced, and fingers crossed!

2. Lau's-aquoponics-system

Lau's-aquoponics-system New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Kalimantan
    City:
    Palangka Raya
    Not exactly sure, I'm in Kalimantan and have tilapia in my Aquaponics tank. I would very much assume they are available in Jakarta, in fact I would be shocked if they weren't...

3. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

A) Food Fish
    Your first stop should be your local Govt Fisheries Office (Kantor Perikanan); there are many of these spread around Indonesia. If you don't know where one is, ask at your local govt office. Fisheries is an important industry in Indonesia and the Kantor Perikanan are (usually) quite serious about providing quality, disease-free fingerlings in addition to info on care and feeding. That's their job. Fish usually available in approx decreasing order of popularity:
    1) Catfish - Lele
    2) Carp - Ikan Mas - This can be a little confusing to first timers as Ikan Mas translates as Goldfish - an entirely different fish.
    3) Tilapia - Nila
    4) Gurame - Gurame
    5) Pomfret - Bawal

Food size examples of live Catfish, Carp and Tilapia are usually also available at your local wet market.

You will also see signs at the side of the road "Di Jual -Ikan Nila" ie Tilapia for sale etc. These are private suppliers and are very much a caveat emptor ie buyer beware; some can be good, some can be shysters selling runts as fingerlings!

B) Ornamental Fish (Ikan Hias)
    There are (or at least were 6/7 years ago) streets and streets of shops fairly near the Hotel Indonesia Roundabout selling all things ornamental fish - fish, tanks, feed, etc, etc.

4. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Wow! Thank you very much for the detailed information. I will check these out, and post back with any updates.

Very much appreciated, thanks!

5. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    The catfish look like a good idea for my first try. Having a Thai wife, she can make a mean "Yam Pla-Duk Fu".