1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Fish Tank Insulation - Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by frederickjh, Jan 29, 2011.

?

What do you use for insulation on your fish tank(s)? Vote for each type you have.

1. None

38.2%
  2. Dirt, my tank is in the ground or the sides are banked in dirt.

14.7%
  3. Sheets of insulation such as polyisocyanurate.

26.5%
  4. Fiberglass batting.

11.8%
  5. Compost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Both insulation and dirt

11.8%
  7. Other -> Please leave a post and tell us about it!

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. frederickjh

frederickjh New Member

Hi all!

I would like to take a poll of what users are doing insulation wise on their fish tanks. If you respond please state if your FT is outside or inside a structure as well and the size.

What do you use for insulation?

What is the insulation value?

What was the measured gain in heat loss from adding the insulation?

How are you heating your tank?

How cold does in get where you are normally in the cold season?

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Frederick

2. Wal100

Wal100 New Member

I used pink batts in white woven plastic bags secured to the GB sides. It has definitely stabilized my FT temps and minimized any fluctuations.

Water temp now hangs around the 27 deg mark. No heating at all... That's the Pilbara for you. I am looking at heating options for the winter.

3. Privatteer

Privatteer New Member

Sump buried, main tank has 80mm of concrete with a brick facing.
    Very stable temps takes several days for it to change.
    Follows the mean temp fairly well. ie Several days 34+ to 37deg and tank recorded a max of 27deg.

4. Jens UK

Jens UK New Member

guys, my builders merchant just got in these new insulated eco building blocks...
    http://www.durisol.net/products.htm
    they would be good to enclose IBc tanks with........like.......LEGO

there may be similar things in your parts of the world...

cheers

jens

5. jonael

jonael New Member

Loil i'm gonna build a hospital and fighting indians and cowboy's!
    got to love lego

6. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

Excellent idea, "WAL100," and many thanks. I'm gonna try it.

7. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

A first experiment with insulation of the type WAL100 suggests confirms his experience. I used only two small metal tanks (not the ones on my actual grows bed because I'm in the process of overhauling the whole system, just buried a 65 gallon heat sink of PVC pipes), one insulated the other not, then applied ambient heat to both. The pink batts insulation reduced temperature by twelve percent.

YAAAAAY WAL100! And thanks!

8. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That is a really good result Storms. Very interesting.

9. Peter the Greek

Peter the Greek Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Sydney
    I didn't want to start a new thread. I am looking at insulating my tank and filters (about 1500L in total).

I live in Sydney - gets down to around zero in Winter (at an absolute low) and as hot as 45 say.

The tank and filters are mostly in the shade and well protected.

I am thinking of wrapping them in insulation batts, covered in foil and painted (for aesthetics only)

Also thinking of putting polystyrene foam on top of the sump and fish tank. The tank has a a good air supply, it is a problem to cover it?

Anyone know what type of polystyrene I should use? if at all?

P.S. the sump is largely in ground and I can't insulate the GB's but they're made of 2x4 hardwood

10. frederickjh

frederickjh New Member

Hi Peter the Greek!

One word to the wise, that I figured out in my research be careful with insulation batts.

Fiberglass batts if they get wet will not insulate as well and may grow mold and other things inside them too. Rockwool batts do not have these problems and would be a better choice if you have them available in your area.

On covering the tank you have to strike a balance. The surface of the tank right now is acting as a degassing mechanism in your system covering it will reduce or almost eliminate this. If you have other areas or mechanism that are degassing and your water is cycling constantly through those areas it might be possible. You just do not want to trap nitrogen and other gasses that become harmful to the fish at elevated levels in the water.

Little known fact fish can also get the bends (divers sickness) from too much nitrogen in the body, but that is most likely not a problem for you. Aquaculturist figured this out trying to get more oxygen into the water with pure air. The longer the air is under water after you release it the more gases that are dissolved.

They were able to get more oxygen into the water by releasing the a 10 meters down from the surface but doing this for a prolonged period of time also increased the nitrogen levels to harmful levels for the fish.

Greetings!

Frederick

Peter the Greek likes this.
  11. Peter the Greek

Peter the Greek Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Sydney
    Hi Frederick,

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Yes I can get rockwool, no problem. I can also get polyester, it doesn't have the mold problems either. Rockwool will be cheaper though.

Cheers,
    Peter

12. kadarra

kadarra New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Yellow Rock
    I know this is an old thread, but has anyone tried hebel blocks?