1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Follow up from previous threads on alternative fish feeds

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by AquaJosh, Jan 15, 2017.

?

What are the top 3 things you feed your fish (apart from commercial feed)

Poll closed Apr 14, 2017.
  1. Chook pellets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. duck weed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Moringa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. lettuce

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pumpkin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sweet potato

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Worms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Meal worms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Black soldier fly lavae

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. grains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    So with Murray's current trials of feeding his fish pumpkin etc I thought I'd see if anyone has followed through on the old threads here of feeding their fish something other than Commercial fish feed.
    I read this article http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-ingredients.html which indicates not all protien in food is good for fish. Some types of protein can't be processed by fish. No idea of their qualifications behind their statements.
    I've just read through so many of the threads re fish feed alternatives and wondered how many people have followed through using alternatives to commercial fish feed.
    Apart from commercial feed what are you feeding your fish on a regular basis?
    What results are you getting?
    Is anyone actually making pellets from their alternative feed or just throwing it in.
    Is anyone dehydrating their alternative feed before feeding the fish or does you use it wet.

Cheers
    Josh
    Thanks