1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse needed? Is rainwater an issue?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Jon0932, May 28, 2013.

1. Jon0932

Jon0932 New Member

Unites States
    State:
    FL
    City:
    Jacksonville
    I suppose this could be a question for any aquaponics system but I'm wondering when a greenhouse becomes necessary. I live in Northeast Florida and we get great sun as well as rain. If I were to have one of Murray's 3 tote toteponics systems for example would it be detrimental to have it openly exposed to rainfall? Is there a rule of thumb on how large a system needs to be before it needs to be covered in a greenhouse? Thanks.

2. Jon0932

Jon0932 New Member

Unites States
    State:
    FL
    City:
    Jacksonville
    I live in Northeast Florida where sun isn't an issue and we receive a healthy amount of rainfall. How does rainfall affect aquaponics systems? Is it detrimental to expose an aquaponics system to rainfall? What is/are the rules around this subject?

3. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Depends (of course )

Large rain events can cause large Ph swings which may be an issue for you .

If you have 10 square metres of exposed grow bed and fish tank and get 3 inches of rain overnight your fish tank / sump level will rise quite a bit.

Hearting lettuce in my experience rots

I have two systems , one under cover , one isnt . Im guessing this winter (our wet season ) the uncovered system may overflow the sump a few times which will lose valuable nutrient base , as my fish barely feed during the cold weather , a cover or part there of , even temporary is something i should look at .
    Rob

4. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

I haven't been able to cover my system - though plans are in the works for some time down the track.

I've never really had a real issue. As long as you cater for your system to be "overfilled" with some sort of overflow in the sumps etc.

Aside from a little diluting of nutrients it's not too much problem.
    Though as Terra points out above - i have seen a little rotting where it gets wet and doesn't dry out. Nothing major, but it does happen.
    Of course, as with all gardening - the plants can be damaged in a heavy downpour - that's probably the largest potential issue.

I think covering it if you're able is certainly "better" - but you're not going to ruin all chances of success or anything if you don't.

Thanks,
    Rob

5. Spencer Moseley

Spencer Moseley New Member

Canada
    State:
    Ontario
    City:
    Toronto
    I think yes.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016