1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Heating with a Spa Flow thru 5.5 KW heater

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Jerry Pritchett, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jerry Pritchett

Jerry Pritchett New Member

United States
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    Waxahachie
    I have a system which will have aprox 1500 gallons of water including GB, FT & Sump. I am considering using a spa flow through heater. It is a two inch stainless tube with a 5.5 KW element inside with a digital temperature controller. It will connect inline on my 2 inch pipe going into the fish tank. Flow rate will be aprox 70 GPM. Has anyone ever used one of these? Any drawback anyone can think of?

2. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    will depend on how much your power costs - in Australia its not worth heating on the power cost alone.
    ideally make sure no copper pipe work in the unit - if its all stainless should be ok.

3. Jerry Pritchett

Jerry Pritchett New Member

United States
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    Waxahachie
    Power is cheap and it is stainless & pvc connections. Cold winters will require heat and gas would not be practical.

4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Draw backs... if you hear the water, but not the greenhouse / fish house then humidity is going to out out the roof.