1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

How to circulate my water

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by paul.magni1, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM.

1. paul.magni1

paul.magni1 New Member

Uk
    State:
    Kent
    City:
    Sevenoaks
    Hi. Ive buckets and liner and a huge pond which run down to a long trench. Any ideas. Im thinking to make holes in the buckets sides. Then use a pump with a float valve to pump water from the trench back up to the pond. The water then refills the trench down the waterfall. Or could flood and drain but will need a big sump? Any idea would be much appreciated. Thanks. Paul[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Paul,
    I think what you have there has great potential for a system. From the approximate dimensions I get looking at your pics you'd have to go with a constant flow type set up in your "trench" . As you said for a flood drain system to work you'd need a BIG sump to accomodate the shifting water , otherwise your pond will empty every time your "trench" fills .

Floating raft might be a good option for your "trench" as it's quite shallow , a layer of polystyrene sheets covering the water would help insulate your water from both temp swings and direct sunlight (causes algae blooms).

When calculating waterfall flow rates , my rule of thumb is 1000Lpm per 100mm of overflow width minimum.......I'm thinking a 300mm or wider waterfall , and a submersable pump at the furthest end of the "trench" returning water to the bottom of your pond would give you impeccable circulation . Also keep in mind you'll need some type of barrier at the top of your waterfall (plastic mesh , sponge , whatever) to stop debris from your pond entering the "trench" , plus all of your fish would probably end up "over the falls" and in there too without it.

Installing a couple of half IBC gravel beds on stands that are higher than and drain into the pond is another option . I'd still pump from the far end of the "trench" then run it through the IBC beds (flood drain) and return the water through a shared drain pipe to fill the pond. It would boost the bacterial nitrification your plants require and both systems together would give you even more growing space..

Note: Your waterfall will cycle (stop & start) in sync with your grow beds fold and drain cycle in this configuration. To avoid this you could set the IBC's up as a constant flood styem.

Hope that helps
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 2:48 AM
  3. paul.magni1

paul.magni1 New Member

Uk
    State:
    Kent
    City:
    Sevenoaks

Huge help. Im now ordering polystyrene sheets to do floating rafts but wonder what thickness to use. The channel (trench) is 5000mm x 1300 so im thinking of getting it in 500mm x 1300mm pieces.
    Ive found a Clarke pump psv1a on ebay. Its a submersible type and only £10. If i set up a dutch bucket style higher than the pond running from farthest end of trench to around the pond can i pump the trench water up from the end of the trench into these buckets and then they drain into the pond. Will they get enough nutrients. Will the flow back into the pond be fast enough. Otherwise i may use another pump to feed the buckets as i want to grow things that wont go in a raft.
    Thanks for your help. Couldnt find anywhere to get info easily. This was quite difficult to figure out and sign up too. Im in south east england. Uk. Ive setup a l.e.d seed starting station. Dunno if its any good but must be better than nothing.
    [​IMG]

Thanks paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringer likes this.