1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

How will this piece affect my SLO

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AquaJosh, Dec 13, 2016.

1. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Hi Everyone,
    Will adding this fitting to the bottom of my SLO 90mm pipe help with solids removal or reduce solids removal. I would remove the grate and sand the outer rim in spots to allow solids to get sucked in with fish being sucked in.
    possible outcomes
    1. gives a larger surface area so drawing from a bigger area-better removal
    2. drawing from a bigger area may reduce suction so not as effective-worse removal
    3. drawing from a larger area to a smaller pipe might increase drawing pressure-better removal
    4. drawing from a larger area to a smaller pipe might decrease drawing pressure-worse removal.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks
    Josh

2. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Did you mean to add a pic? I'm toying with your thoughts at the moment too with a new fingerling tank I've integrated into my system. Its 40mm for SLO that reduces to 25mm Poly outlet at the top of tank.
    I've been running it sporadically into the main system its all going good. It seems to lift solids out very well.

3. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    MMMM I thought I did????? scratches head IMG_4987.JPG IMG_4989.JPG

Ok so if I add this, now you know what I'm talking about lol.

4. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Instead of sanding the outer rim, I'd prop it up on some stainless steel bolts like this:

Sanding just a few spots might not give you enough water flow, backing up your tank, but Rob's system is proof that lifting it up on bolts works well!

5. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Horses for courses. Different size end caps for different size fish.
    I just got a 40mm end cap and drilled lots of 5mm holes in it for my hatchling/fingerling tank.
    The Silver Perch hatchlings I get will be so small they will get sucked up that gradient you have but it would be better for bigger fish.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  6. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Much the same sanding or adding bolts. I have die grinders and dremels so sanding them down is no issue.

7. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi ,
    In my experience solids are best dumped from the bottom of tanks . It is inherently far more inefficient to try and lift particles that will always try and settle to the bottom when suspended in a fluid matrix.
    I understand a floor drain is not always possible but definitely the best option if viable.
    Cheers.

8. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    So your not a fan of SLO then. Mine works fine but understand a floor drain would work more efficiently.

9. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Josh,
    I view them as a next best alternative to floor drains .
    If not absolutely necessary why try and make water (and even heavier detritus) flow up hill .
    It just isn't logical.
    Ideally IMO and adhering to the "kiss" methodology I believe an ideal system works in the following order,
    1) GB's (all types) draining to
    2) filtration (optional) draining clean water to
    3)fish tank drain via stand pipe or over flow to
    4)sump containing pump lifting water back to GB's.
    This is my opinion.
    I know some situations don't allow for base drainage and SLO's then become a terrific option.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

10. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    1) GB's (all types) draining to
    2) filtration (optional) draining clean water to
    3)fish tank drain via stand pipe or over flow to
    4)sump containing pump lifting water back to GB's.
    Hi Ringer,
    Would you not be better to have filtration between the sump and grow beds to reduce the solids going into the grow bed thus reducing the need to clean grow beds as often??
    I guess then the ideal would be
    1. GB's draining to
    2. Filtration draining clean water to
    3. fish tank drain to
    4. filtration draining to
    5. sump containing pump lifting water back to grow beds.
    My system is
    1. Fish tank draining via SLO to
    2. filtration draining to
    3. grow beds draining via bell siphon to
    4. sump tank with pump lifting back to fish tank.
    Seems to work well, my water is clear

11. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Josh I understand your logic but I like the idea of having as much pure fish waste as possible passing through my media bed to enable the maximum nitrification can occur .
    I should mention my gravel GB's fill from the bottom up and then discharge via bell siphons this way they are constantly being back flushed and don't accumulate detritus like a typical top filled flood drain media bed can. In this set up I ensure maximum exposure between the fish available waste to the nitrifying bacteria colonising my media beds , but then any solids are flushed out and caught in my filtration and not returned to my fish tanks or being accumulated in my sump.
    Hope that helps
    Cheers

AquaJosh likes this.
  12. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Thanks Ringer, That makes total sense, and thank you for taking the time to reply. Agree about maximising the waste, after all that is what it's for. Interesting idea back flushing your grow beds. How long have they been running and have you ever checked to see what they are like on the bottom? I'd be interested to see the difference between yours and a normal grow bed with solids going in.

13. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Bud I worked at a red claw/ silver perch farm for 4 years then was the fitter at a large abattoir servicing and maitaining a huge water treatment and recycling plant for 4 years
    I've also built several large scale ornamental ponds and kept and bred just about every fish species available to me throughout my life including marine species , natives and exotic imported species. So I have a lot of applicable experience. Now having said that (blah blah blah) I've had a large-ish experimental aquaponics system running for around 18months now. It includes 15000L of fish holding water ,flood drain media beds , an NFT Hybrid ,floating raft beds and a new style of grow system that I'm getting very exciting results from. My entire system is of an experimental research nature . I am still just compiling data from as many and as varied aquaponics systems as I can design at this stage . I will post pics soon , honestly my goal hasn't been harvesting yet but rather establishing which processes will yield the best results. Lots of plants have grown fruited and died in my system so far but the info acquired has been and very interesting . Some info/results from my experiments differs greatly from the conventional techniques being used now. I've got some new techniques trailing now in full scale too that y'all may find very interesting when I show them. But for now it's just design , build and trail. The full system takes up about 1/4 of an acre currently with more ideas yet to be constructed.
    To answer your back flushing question directly , yes it is very successful mate, media GB's stay very clean this way and bacterial function is excellent.
    Cheers (hope I didn't put you to sleep mate)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    AquaJosh likes this.
  14. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Thanks Ringer, Hope you didn't think I was questioning your ability. I have followed and read your posts with interest. Very interested in hearing, reading, seeing your trials and results. I find it interesting the number of people who simply say you can't do that because it's not the way everyone else does it. I'm also playing with ideas and trialing (on a much smaller scale at the moment) so my questions were more related to interest in your result rather than questioning your methods.
    With that experience behind you you comments are worth listening to. I'm running several trials at home while planning/developing a larger system elsewhere. Very early stages for me but already breaking some "rules" with success. I think there is a much bigger scope for AP than what is portrayed by most and better returns than currently seen.
    Thanks for your time and keen to see what you have in the future.

15. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Me personally, I like SLOs because they make it far less likely that a break or leak in your piping can drain your fish tank - and also, if you want your solids to go through your growbeds, I think FT -> growbeds -> sump -> pump back to FT works best. If you go FT -> sump -> pump to growbeds then you'll get solids collecting in your sump, and your pump will mash up solids passing through it and make it harder for them to settle or filter out.

One of the cool things about aquaponics is that there are many different ways to do it, and as long as you're getting the results you want then you aren't doing it wrong. :D

16. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi mel,
    If your fish waste never makes it to your gb how does it benefit your system?
    Nice job on your system by the way. It looks great.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    I didn't have enough height difference between my FT and sump to fit my growbeds and all the necessary plumbing in between, so I had to do a modified CHOP 2 system - I've got two separate loops, sump -> growbeds -> back to sump and sump -> FT -> RFF -> back to sump. The RFF is in there so all the solids don't end up in my sump, and a small drain at its base feeds into an aerated mineralisation tank; the outlet from the MT is inside a settling cone (so the solids don't escape) and trickle-feeds clean water into the sump (hopefully containing most of the micronutrients that were in the solids!). It's not perfect - every once in a while I have to 'vacuum' solids off the sloped bottom of the RFF and dump them into the MT - but it's doing a pretty good job! I think it'll hold up well as my fish grow and produce more poo.

And thank you! :D I'm having a ton of fun!

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi AquaJosh,

For SLO's the theory is you should have a round tank, the return from your filtration system should be angled sideways so you create a vortex in your tank when the water is returned and I'm not talking whirlpool vortex lol just a slow one. In theory your solids should go to the centre of of your tank, just like a swirl filter, then you should have the rise pipe or whatever you want to call it placed as close to the centre of the tank as possible, then the pipe can suck up your solids out of the tank.

I did this with IBC's you may wish to search and have a look at what I did.

I think you should try to get your solids in as small an area as you possibly and practicably can then direct your pipe to that area, you should try to get your pipe as small a diameter as practically possible to create more suction, the way you suggest is going the opposite way thus causing less suction.

You can off course have a sloped bottom on your tank or go the full hog and buy an aquaculture tank withe a conical bottom on it, then if you did, why would you worry about removing solids with a pipe because as Ringer says, the solids get drained away.

Cheers.

19. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Thanks Bigdaddy,
    I possibly should've been clearer in my original post. My current system works fine. My solids removal works fine. My system is an IBC f/t and works as you have described and my water is crystal clear.
    My reason for asking about the fitting was for some trials I'm doing and wondered it that fitting would make any difference in future trials (not necessarily in a fish tank). I believe there is much more we do with aquaponics than just growing lettuce and tomatoes etc.

Thanks
    Josh