1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

It's 35 dregrees Celsius!!

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Luke84, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Hello team.

So having a stab at my first system. Thing I have run into is water temp. It's getting to 35C!

What plants will grow in such temps. I've got a small raft system in a fish tank and it's inside a shade house. It looks like it's ambient temp that's getting it. Even my fish tank in the house is getting to 32 degrees on a bad day. I've got 4 air stones in a small tank.

Red claw and spotted perch are fine though. Doesn't seem to phase them one bit and are still feeding.

I've got a 200ltr barrel for the next build and then want to go an ibc when the time and space is right. Just don't want to spend a fortune trying to cool it.

Any tips would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    The smaller the water volume, the greater your temp issues will be. The plants in the raft system won't do to well at 35C. About the only thing you could possibly do is add some sort of cooling tower, but they don't work really well in high humidity and it will cause a lot of evaporation from the system.

On your next system build I would by-pass the 200L drum and go straight to the IBC.

Luke84 likes this.
  3. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    So been brain storming.

Every so often on gum tree freebie cool room panels come up for grabs if you remove them. Maybe an IBC under that wth a decent air gap should do it. Shade cloth the sides to still allow airflow.

Yabbies4me,
    Do you have IBC's and what sort of temp swing do you see?

4. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Search this site for "evaporative cooling" or similar. You already have shade cloth, so spraying your circulated water over this and returning the (cooled) water back into your system could give you a few degrees in the right direction. Also, if you tilt your shade cloth at the right angle, the water should run down the width before dripping off and you'll get fairly effective water oxygenation thrown in for free.

Bear in mind that evaporative cooling depends on evaporation which depends on your relative humidity, so as Yabbies tells us this is not effective at high RH. At 100% RH no evaporation/cooling.

5. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Thanks mate.

Yeah humidity as a norm is about 75% and on real stinkers it's as high as 95%. Start sweating as soon as you step out of the shower lol

6. Clive Denholm

Clive Denholm Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Whittlesea
    Luke84 likes this.