1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Koi dying - help please!

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Dazzmu, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Dazzmu

Dazzmu New Member

South Africa
    State:
    Western Cape
    City:
    Cape Town
    Hi everyone, desperately need some help please! My system is about 2.5 months old. Cycled, added some goldfish, all good so added about 35 little koi. All going like a boeing. Then two days ago they lost their appetite. Then yesterday I started finding them dead. In the morning there were three dead, found one that had died a few days earlier behind the pump. Checked levels - ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10. PH is 7.7 - check it every day and as it's still a new system it's still a bit high I know but it should be fantastic for the fish.

System is a bathtub system, with a sump underneath. Fish are in a portapool. Nothing has changed - no new plants or anything.

Nothing visible on the fish themselves - no odd cottony patches or anything else weird. No visible parasites either. Keep finding some on the bottom of the water - then when I disturb them they swim away. Just found another dead one - but it was on the bottom, not floating.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I do a salt bath? Help?

2. Tina Andersen

Tina Andersen New Member

USA
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    Houston
    Hi Dazzmu, I have just joined this forum today and saw you were experiencing something I went through last October, ironically as I was attending Murray's class in Houston, Texas!! I was horrified as all my koi were clumping together on the bottom and not eating. I spent many hours on the internet and talking to koi people. My water levels were good, but the fish were not happy and I lost three of them. Turned out to be parasites and I had to give them a weekly treatment of something called Terminate over here, I hope you have something similar where you are. They were not in my aquaponics system at the time so I am not sure if you need to remove them to treat them. Hopefully someone else will know about that, Good Luck