1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

My first AP set up

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics Discussion USA & Canada' started by kiertin.young, Aug 15, 2016.

1. kiertin.young

kiertin.young New Member

Canada
    State:
    Alberta
    City:
    lloydminster
    [​IMG]

I just wanted to know what your opinion would be on a turtle in my fish tank.
    I have one in there along with my fish and I find he chases my fish around nipping at them. But since I started the siphon he's been loving the waterfall and he loves playing under it. It also keeps him from nipping. But I imagine that's going to get old soon. I'm afraid he's gonna start nipping again. One guy suggested that I get another Turtle so he has someone to play with. So what I'm wondering is what would this do for my grow op? Does anyone have any comments on this?

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Turtles are big poopers and usually make a mess. I have never kept one but other members report this.

3. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Turtles also carry salmonella bacteria, which is why you're supposed to wash your hands very very thoroughly after handling them - if you're planning to eat anything out of that growbed, best to move the turtle to his own tank! If it's just going to be ornamental plants and flowers, that wouldn't be an issue.

(Also, does your turtle have a dry area where he can climb out, and a UV light?)