1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia reading zero after fish harvest

Discussion in 'Established Aquaponics systems' started by DannyPM, Apr 26, 2017.

1. DannyPM

DannyPM Member

Mozambique
    State:
    Maputo
    City:
    Maputo
    I've recently harvested 60 kg of Niloticus Tilapia and soon after my nitrate, nitrite, ammonia reading dropped to zero.
    A week has gone past after stocking the tank (1 Tilapia to 20L of water) but the reading are still keeping the same trend, i.e, zero.
    If I add a liquid fertilizer (Nitrosol), the ammonia spikes to 0.5ppm then a day later the reading goes to zero.
    Should I consider cycling again or wait? If waiting is the option how long could this take?

Thanks in advance.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    The system is fine. It's definitely still fully cycled if it takes care of 0.5ppm Ammonia within 24hrs.

What are you waiting for?... a Nitrate reading?

If a system is well balanced it can achieve very healthy plant growth and still have Nitrate readings of 0.0ppm, they are just being used up by the plants as fast as they are being produced.

If your plants are looking healthy then I wouldn't worry.

With fish in the system, having a constant Nitrate reading anywhere between 0.0ppm and 40ppm is fine, but your Ammonia and Nitrite readings should've been 0.0ppm all the time, otherwise your system is unbalanced, ie: overstocked.

3. DannyPM

DannyPM Member

Mozambique
    State:
    Maputo
    City:
    Maputo
    Thanks @Yabbies4me. The plants are just doing fine. I was scared because before the fish harvest I could read nitrate between 25 to 50ppm.
    I'll keep watching to see any abnormal behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DannyPM

DannyPM Member

Mozambique
    State:
    Maputo
    City:
    Maputo
    Hi fellows

At last some nitrate reading showed up: 10ppm.
    Ammonia & nitrite still read 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Sounds like your on a good track.

I must have got a trailer load or two of excellent looking vegies raising tiny fish over the first 2 years with readings of zero nitrate levels.
    Also with zero Ammonia and Zero Nitrite levels readable with an API master kit.
    That's a good track.

4th year in now my fish are bigger etc, with a hatchling tank.
    Ammonia gets as highest = 0.25 (Lowest detectable colour change)
    Nitrite = o (sometimes the slightest hint of colour at lowest detectable readings)
    Nitrate = 80 now but then it drops through winter as the fish eat less but I still grow winter vegetables.
    Winter Nitrate = ~5 to 0 ppm
    Summer Nitrate = ~ 80+ ppm (with many kilo of fruiting tomatoes', cucumbers etc)

Hope that helps. :cool: