1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

(pvc) chloride water contamination

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fishing1234, Aug 10, 2012.

1. fishing1234

fishing1234 New Member

any one have any thoughts on using pvc growbeds and piping... just been doin some research on poly vinyl chloride contamination of water... that stuff dosnt seem to friendly in the presence of air,water heat(sun), leaching harmful chlorides into the water and then products of fish n produce inevatably i guess... my friends wont even have pvc downpipe to their rainwater tanks.. they suggest a food grade plastic substance for growbeds etc,,, just puttn it out there.. EPA sites etc have notes on it

2. RafaDD

RafaDD Member

Spain
    State:
    Segovia
    City:
    El Espinar
    To use PVC is somthing that I am also trying to avoid and also any other plastic or resing that It could be for non alimentary purposes. In my system I am using:

Plumbing pipes:Reticulated Polyethylene, and black polythylene
    Bell siphon: drink bottles (although they could contain bisfenol...)
    Fish tank and grow beds: Polyurea prime, EPDM

There is also an alimentary prime to apply in Epoxy/fiberglass containers that is used in Vine industry called Resolcoat 4070.

3. Julien the Luxi

Julien the Luxi New Member

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Hello folks,
    Murray seems to use PVC all over his systems as well as his students in the commercial farms that he shows us in his videos. Has there been any harm proved?? The reason I am asking is that I have just fond some quite affordable PVC coated fabric fishtanks with steel frames. Does anyone have any experience with such products for aquaponics?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Not a thing wrong with using PVC. Go for it.