1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
  1. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Hi there,

I am wondering how important it is to have a home tote system covered from the rain. I currently live in Jakarta and we have some heavy rains during the monsoon. I am about to try to build a tote system in the back of the house, but the rains come in, sometimes from all angles.

I have read about how aquaponics works by keeping a balanced system to benefit both plants and fish, so was wondering how important it is to keep the system covered from the rain.

Thanks.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    A bit of heavy rain now and then isn't a bad thing. It can help flush any nutrient salt build up from the surface of the gravel back into the water, making them available to the plants again and reduce the risk of them building up on the surface and affecting seedling growth. Just ensure you have an overflow outlet built into your sump tank, as well as your fish tank if it doesn't run a solids lifting overflow or similar.

Heavy monsoon rains every single afternoon etc, day in day out, may be an issue with diluting down of the nutrient content in the system water, but you could foliar feed once or twice a week, or add the occasional cap full of Seasol etc to combat this.

The only issue I've ever had with rain here in Perth is when we've had persistant very light rain for 3 or 4 days on end. This enables to the nutrient salts to wick to the surface of the grow bed and when it finally dries out they are left behind, which affects seedling development. The consistent light rain has also lead to rotting of the lower leaves on lettuce etc, that have been in contact with the surface of the gravel.

TonyGrunk likes this.
  3. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Hi Yabbies4Me,

Thanks very much for that.

4. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

What Yabbies said, and...

I've been living on the south coast of W Java for the last 12+ years and this year has seen days and days and days of the heaviest rains I've ever seen (global warming???). These rains have been so heavy as to actually do physical damage (to your plants etc).

Unless your growbeds are all under cover, I was wondering if perhaps shade cloth at an angle could protect from the heaviest rains and provide shade and evaporative cooling in the hot summer months. More info on shade cloth on this forum. Try a Search.

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    In the words of Forest Gump... Big old fat rain!

6. Lau's-aquoponics-system

Lau's-aquoponics-system New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Kalimantan
    City:
    Palangka Raya
    You wouldn't want too much Jakarta rain entering your system, if any, and certainly not large amounts- due to the sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide presence in acid rain.
    Apparently; the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG)’s data report in 2010 showed that the average pH level of rain water in Jakarta was recorded as being 4.52 I wonder what the average pH level might be 7 years on, close to the level of battery acids perhaps ;)

7. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Good points!

Definitely, some of the rains we have been experiencing lately could damage the plants, so the shade cloth might be an easy option. My wife grows kang kong, and even though it still gets flattened, it bounces back.

The pollution levels are definitely to be taken into consideration. At the moment I can see the volcanoes towards Bogor, so the rain has cleaned up Jakarta air a fair bit. Wont be long before its all back to smog and haze though.

8. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    well my system got a good wash with recent rain from Debbie, we were measuring or rain in feet this time instead of inches or millimetres
    in fact it was raining so heavily i counted 15 salmon swimming upstream through the rain!!

9. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    I hope you managed to grab the salmon! ;)

10. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    yes i did . however i got bone stuck in my lung and had a short stay in Lismore Base Hospital to have it removed

11. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Well, I hate to ask, but how did you manage to get a bone stuck in your lung?

drinkanim

MickyD likes this.
  12. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    i dont know i musta coughed while eating the salmon

13. Mark L

Mark L New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Java
    City:
    Jakarta
    Sounds like a fishy tail to me! :whistle: ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM