1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    Starting to get some black spots now too along with the leaves curling inward. My Nitrates are at 30 ppm, Nitrites 0, and the PH is at 7.0. Things are not looking good at the moment :((n)

2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Okay, that's definitely not from too much nitrates, and it's not nitrate deficiency either. If it's a deficiency it could be a few different things, so in your place I'd probably supplement with something that gives a good range of micronutrients without adding nitrogen - over here that would be something like Seasol, and I'd add in a little kelp powder to supply potassium as well - and see what happens.

3. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    Ok great thanks Mel I'll give it a go ;)

4. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    I found something called neptunes harvest which is a seaweed plant food without the nitrogen so I'll give it a go, it's organic but I still worry about adding this to it I hope it doesn't affect the fish :unsure: going to add it little by little to see how they react. It's making the tank a bit brownish but as long as it works...

5. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Try watering it into the growbed or diluting it and spraying it on the leaves as a foliar application, maybe? That gives it to the plants without as much of it going to the fish. ;)

6. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    Ok great sounds like a plan!

7. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Safe fish stocking capacity is determined by the system's wet gravel volume, or bio-filtration. Goldfish of the size you have there, don't need much bio-filtration, 5L of wet gravel per fish is more than sufficient. You then match the gravel volume with water volume at a ratio of about a 1:1. That gravel:water ratio is quite flexible, but 1:1 gives a well balanced system.

The problem with running goldfish is the feed. Compared to the commercial fish food used for edible fish, ie: Skretting Nova, goldfish feed is low in the mineral nutrients required by the plants. So the system will produce more Nitrogen in ratio to mineral nutrients than a system using edible fish being fed a commercial grade fish food. I got around this by alternating between the Goldfish feed and the Skretting feed every second day. If you feed goldfish Skretting only, they will grow quickly and appear very healthy, albeit a little rotund, but it eventually kills them.

Seasol is just liquid Kelp extract Mel, and of all the Macronutrients, Potassium is the one that it does have in a reasonable amount, so you'd just be doubling up by adding the Kelp powder IMO.

It's hard to tell from some of the pics Bergermeister, but in a couple of them it definitely looks to me like there is an Iron deficiency, the basil in particular. If you pH is definitely 7.0, then I would be sourcing and adding Maxicrop with Iron, which is basically a US version of Seasol, but with added Iron. It does have a higher Ammonia/Nitrogen content than Seasol, so add it in small, regular amounts, ie; 1x capful (20ml) per 500L, every 3rd day or so until the deficiency symptoms abate, your system should be able to handle it if it's fully cycled and not overstocked. From then on add 1x capful per 500L per week as a maintenance level.

(a). What are you testing your pH with?... (b). Have you been adding anything, acid etc, to bring the pH down?... (c). Did you start the system with tap water?... (d). Is that Growstone media?

Cheers,

Yabbies.

8. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Ah, you're right there - I was misremembering, it's Phosphorous it's got bugger all of. :cautious:

9. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    Thanks Yabbies!
    a. Just been using test strips at the moment
    b. I've been using a ph down from the fish store, what's a good level to be at?
    c. I did start it with tap water and used a conditioner to clear the chlorine
    d. Yes they are a recycled product that I found.

10. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I thought you'd made that up... until I looked it up.

11. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    Thanks guys for all your help things are up and running great now! :carrot:

12. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Woohoo! :broc1: Glad to hear it!

13. Bergermeister

Bergermeister New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Milford
    City:
    Ct
    I'm amazed on how fast things grow, loving this set up i think its time to expand. (y)

aqua.JPG

14. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Haha, that's how it starts!