1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Safe IBC totes?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Strattoninc, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Strattoninc

Strattoninc New Member

USA
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Ottawa
    I'm needing totes for my 11.5 and have a friend who farms over 5,000 acres with many of them that I can have for free. But....they have been used for different chemicals and nutrients. I can buy food grade ones for $125 each plus dilivery. The question is do I pay the $400+ for the tree totes I need or use the free ones and risk problems.

Obviously I will never use ones that had a pesticide!! But he has ones that held trace elements and fertilizer. Are they safe to use? Economy is a big deal for us. I don't want to spend the $400 but don't want to shoot myself in the foot before we even start.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Fertilizer totes should be safe, and so would a lot of the trace element ones; your best bet would be to google "[substance name] MSDS", which should get you material safety data sheets for what was in them. Still wash them out well, of course! (y)

3. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Grab some free cages if you can makes it real easy to build , one trace element IBC cut in half and use a chemical cage for the other half , pic below shows how ive used them beats trying to balance them on bricks and planks of wood .

Attached Files:

4. Strattoninc

Strattoninc New Member

USA
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Ottawa
    Awesome! That made that decision whole lot easier! I'll check into the cages and the MSDS on them too.