1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Snowpeas

Discussion in 'Plants' started by AquaStu, Feb 11, 2017.

1. AquaStu

AquaStu New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi all, I've got snowpeas in my system which germinated very quickly (after a few days) but now they've slowed down and the bottom leaves are dying. I've pulled the weakest ones out of my grow bed and to my surprise, their root systems are very well developed.
    What's going on? What's the trick to growing snowpeas?

2. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    How long has your system been running are other plants going ok

If its a new system that's your answer it takes awhile to build up the right nutrient base for "Fruiting crops"

Plants with large seeds have a bit of vigor due to stored energy in the seed so they go great , once this runs out if the nutrients are not there they will drop off .

Might be a bit hot for them (out of season in your area ???) here ive found they generally go ok following "Garden peas" which finish here mid spring

3. AquaStu

AquaStu New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Thanks Terra. Yeah it's hot as hell in brisbane today. Rookie error. I forgot to check the season for snowpeas.
    Tomatoes are growing REALLY well. Any tips for ensuring they fruit at the right time and not just grow a lot of leaf?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    With Tomatoes shake the flower sections they are mainly "Wind" pollinated of course intense heat and cold interfere with fruit set . Generally lots of leaf in a garden is due to a "nitrogen high" imbalance so hows your nitrate you can mix 50% rainwater with your fish water and test if you are "Off the chart" . To get some idea where your sitting . Perhaps short term foliar spray with potash something like "Eco Rose" and look at adding a bit of potash regularly when you adjust your ph .

AquaStu likes this.
  5. AquaStu

AquaStu New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Thanks for the advice.