1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Trout or non trout

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by Fishdood, May 15, 2012.

1. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

This little begger commited hurry-curry on the end of my line a few weeks back.

Eastern flowing river, Upper Apsley NSW,.....I just could not believe seeing this on my line.

His eye ARE bigger than his belly !

Question is, is it a trout?

Attached Files:

2. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Yep, it's a trout... and the Aspley has been known as one of the best trout rivers by avid anglers for years...

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Do they breed there Rupe?... or would that have been stocked?

4. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Probably both... certainly most rivers, dams in NSW are regularly stocked each year by the angling clubs...

Indeed, without the government "dollar for dollar" restock program... many of the hatcheries would be struggling...

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I know zip about it... what's the requirements for trout to breed, can they breed in the one area, or do they need to travel up/down the river etc?

6. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

I did know there were trout there but I only saw mullet.

Be back for a fish the long week end. I'll take a bigger lure !

7. Fishndreams

Fishndreams New Member

8. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi fishdood,
    Fishndreams , above is right it's an Australian Smelt . You can tell by the elongated body shape and the outline of the reflective area containing the fishes gut .
    image.jpg
    To answer Yabbies question , rainbow trout can be quite nomadic moving up and down river systems in the pursuit of food at will. They only migrate upstream (if not already there) to get to suitable substrate and water conditions for breeding( typically after the winter thaw in spring). Females dig a pit (called a redd) in pebble substrate, cold highly oxygenated water needs to flow in, under and through the pebbles as the female buries the eggs and they settle in between the stones once they are fertilised . Free floating eggs are quickly devoured by predators including other trout. If there is no oxygenating water movement within the gravel the fry will die and unhatched eggs become covered in fungi and rot. This is why in Aus. even if introduced fish pair and mate in many cases the substrate in our rivers is too silty causing the eggs and fry to be smothered and die.
    Hope that helps

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Yabbies4me likes this.