1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

u-siphon

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by scholl, Dec 24, 2015.

1. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    I've been using a bell siphon in 2 grow beds for a couple years now. About 1 time a month
    I have trouble with them. They won't stop one time or start the next time. I finally went back to a inside the bed u-siphon that a used when I first started. It was easier for me to make than a bell and ran great. I went to the bell because 99 % use it and they must be right.
    I have been running the u-siphon for 3 months with zero trouble. Any one else using this type?
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Columbia S.C .

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Asia-Off-Grid and Sayhello2pedro like this.
  2. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    I used u siphons before but they were 1" flex tubing on outside of cut blue barrel halves when I used them. I no longer have them. They would work but problematic sometimes. But again, they were different form what you have. Yours look like 3/4" is that correct?

3. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    They are 3/4 . I cut off both the elbows shorten the width (the only way it fits into the 4 in pipe . I tried to make them malfunction by manipulating the water flow but it kept working. SO far so good.

4. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    Interesting. That's great that they have been trouble free. My bells work without issues but it's nice to see things others are doing. I did have one that was a little finicky but put an air break tube on it and no problems since. Merry Christmas

5. Sayhello2pedro

Sayhello2pedro New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    Great work Scholl, I would consider changing my Bell Siphons if they play up (ever again). I initially had a small air gap where the air break tube enters the bell and was breaking the siphon too early. Some silicone made it work just right but I would think the U siphon would be more reliable. Interested in seeing it's progress later on.

6. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    March 15th 2016 and the siphons have worked flawlessly.

Asia-Off-Grid and gpk like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    I am new to AP, but have decided to go with U-siphons for my grow beds as well.

Do you have a drawing of yours that you would share? What size fill tube are you using?

8. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    I do not have a drawing. It's a pretty simple design. I will dissemble one and take a picture to show how it works.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    I didn't mean to put you through trouble, here.

Just trying to learn.

10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    Here is an interesting use of the U-Siphon, a guy from England has been using for a while. I found it, and began watching his videos some time back.

He told me he has encountered no problems with the U-Siphon working. He has, I believe, four 1/2 cut barrels tied together to fill and drain as one unit. If you notice from his drawing, they also fill and drain from the same tube.

Screenshot 2016-02-13 07.28.jpg

11. LastBearEnder

LastBearEnder New Member

United States
    State:
    Missouri
    City:
    Lebanon
    Care to share an update on the reliability of your u-siphon, Scholl? I struggled with my first bell siphon- it wasn't as low-maintenance as I'd hoped. I never heard of a u-siphon till now, and would love to hear how it has performed for you.

Hi Asia-Off-Grid. Did you ever build your project? The diagram from NorthernMonkeyMayhem is interesting-- I watched a few of his videos, and his "New and improved DIY budget aquaponics system" is pretty cool.