1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

u-siphon

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by scholl, Dec 24, 2015.

1. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    I've been using a bell siphon in 2 grow beds for a couple years now. About 1 time a month
    I have trouble with them. They won't stop one time or start the next time. I finally went back to a inside the bed u-siphon that a used when I first started. It was easier for me to make than a bell and ran great. I went to the bell because 99 % use it and they must be right.
    I have been running the u-siphon for 3 months with zero trouble. Any one else using this type?
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Columbia S.C .

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Asia-Off-Grid and Sayhello2pedro like this.
  2. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    I used u siphons before but they were 1" flex tubing on outside of cut blue barrel halves when I used them. I no longer have them. They would work but problematic sometimes. But again, they were different form what you have. Yours look like 3/4" is that correct?

3. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    They are 3/4 . I cut off both the elbows shorten the width (the only way it fits into the 4 in pipe . I tried to make them malfunction by manipulating the water flow but it kept working. SO far so good.

4. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    Interesting. That's great that they have been trouble free. My bells work without issues but it's nice to see things others are doing. I did have one that was a little finicky but put an air break tube on it and no problems since. Merry Christmas

5. Sayhello2pedro

Sayhello2pedro New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    Great work Scholl, I would consider changing my Bell Siphons if they play up (ever again). I initially had a small air gap where the air break tube enters the bell and was breaking the siphon too early. Some silicone made it work just right but I would think the U siphon would be more reliable. Interested in seeing it's progress later on.

6. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    March 15th 2016 and the siphons have worked flawlessly.

Asia-Off-Grid and gpk like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    I am new to AP, but have decided to go with U-siphons for my grow beds as well.

Do you have a drawing of yours that you would share? What size fill tube are you using?

8. scholl

scholl New Member

United States
    State:
    SC
    City:
    Columbia
    I do not have a drawing. It's a pretty simple design. I will dissemble one and take a picture to show how it works.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    I didn't mean to put you through trouble, here.

Just trying to learn.

10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid New Member

Cambodia
    State:
    Battambang
    City:
    Battambang
    Here is an interesting use of the U-Siphon, a guy from England has been using for a while. I found it, and began watching his videos some time back.

He told me he has encountered no problems with the U-Siphon working. He has, I believe, four 1/2 cut barrels tied together to fill and drain as one unit. If you notice from his drawing, they also fill and drain from the same tube.

Screenshot 2016-02-13 07.28.jpg

11. LastBearEnder

LastBearEnder New Member

United States
    State:
    Missouri
    City:
    Lebanon
    Care to share an update on the reliability of your u-siphon, Scholl? I struggled with my first bell siphon- it wasn't as low-maintenance as I'd hoped. I never heard of a u-siphon till now, and would love to hear how it has performed for you.

Hi Asia-Off-Grid. Did you ever build your project? The diagram from NorthernMonkeyMayhem is interesting-- I watched a few of his videos, and his "New and improved DIY budget aquaponics system" is pretty cool.