1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Used Sketchup To Draw Out a system with a 15ft pool at it's Core.

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by great08, Sep 25, 2016.

1. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    Hello Everyone,

Knowing what I know now there are several things I would change with this before actually building it.

Read the description on the Sketchup website for a better understanding of what is going on in this design.

This drawing is designed with producing fish food on site in mind... and using low power and low maintenance. As well as providing extreme thermal stability for the greenhouse. Oh, and treating the system as an ecosystem/pond with more natural stocking densities that are sustainably harvested. Housing multiple species and generations of fish in the same tank. Just go fishing for dinner!

For the main things I would change...
    1.) I would Not install those IBC grow beds.
    • They would have to be mounted much higher to get the flood/drain that would be required for proper aeration.
    • The surface area of the gravel in the middle of the pool/pond should be enough. If it is not then you can install the same plumbing that goes to the IBC media beds... and place a couple (much smaller) 55 gal drums with K1 media in there and more air stones placed at the bottom. aka... some mineralization tanks.
    • With the space freed up by removing the IBC grow beds you can go vertical and install some grow towers. I have a 15W DC powered water pump that has up to a 15ft head height. At 6ft head height it is rated to flow 190 gallons per hour. That is enough for a ton of grow towers! 7 gallons per hour per tower is considered by many to be way more than needed. No battery needed. When the sun sets the pump turns off.
    2.) I would put the pool in the ground.
    • This would aid in the thermal stability of both the greenhouse AND the water. The ground temps would keep the water cooler in the summer and warm the water on those frigid winter nights. Essentially geo-thermal heating and cooling. Especially if you were to plumb the pipes throughout the greenhouse floor.
    • The grow towers can sit near the ground this way. Adding to a more practical use of the space.
    3.) I would remove the lemon tree from in front of the pool. I would put in worm/soldier fly larve compost bins with ramps going into the water for feeding the fish.
    4.) I would put in more lettuce rafts since the lemon tree and IBC tanks would be gone.
    5.) I would install LED night lights over the water for attracting more food for the fish.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=255bd9e9-8091-42b7-a2ac-5b8d80bdb242

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi great08,
    Your design looks cool , you've broken a lot of " best practice" rules there.
    So you may have some issues to overcome but good luck with it , hope it becomes
    a reality for you.
    Cheers.

3. stevegoldy

stevegoldy New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Berri
    "Best practice rules" could you elaborate on that please?

4. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    I will not be able to build anything like that any time soon.

However, I do have a small barrel aquaponics system in my greenhouse that is continuously evolving as I learn.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel. I am working on getting some new videos in right now. My future upload will show how the Fig cutting/stick I stuck in the system not only turned into a tree in one year... but is actually making fruit! How amazing is that!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmx2Go7kyfksVKZiQ9IcGEgYZtmQuumRG

@stevegoldy...
    I know the biggest rule that I broke was having to much water and too little fish in the system. I think it could be easily tweaked to work by integrating bioponics/composting into the system(which is more sustainable since you can harvest from your yard for amendments). There are multiple generations and species of fish in the same tank as well... which are some other things you don't normally see/rules that are broken.

5. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    I used " best practice " for lack of a better term. I was trying to find a succinct way of referring to all the typical issues faced when designing and later maintaining a serviceable system . For example water flow rates, aeration, no still water spots, no obstructions for waterborne solids to get caught behind ,ability to and ease of harvesting fish/crustaceans , utilising the benefits of gravity to move water effectively and the ability to "dump" water from the base of tanks to make them easier to clean to mention a few . I realise there is no documented official industry "best practice" , but there are plenty of elements included in almost all setups that are held as necessary or essential and understood to be "best practice" for the long success of an aquaponics system design.
    Hope that clear that up!
    Cheers.

6. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    assuming your planning to use ZipGrow towers?

7. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    If I were to ever build something like this design... I would totally consider using some sort of grow towers. Maximizing production in a given space.

Of course I will be using vertical grow towers in my smaller system before I build a bigger system. Just to see if I like them first. Better to waste a small amount of time before wasting a larger amount of time.

However, I am a cheap bastard. I have heard the podcasts from zip-grow for financial costs/loan amounts/and potential payback period for zip grow towers. I am not keen on going massively in debt/with long payback periods that hopefully work out... all while trying to get a business started. So I am not really interested in them (zip grow towers) but I am interested in vertical grow towers. I would have to play around with making my own and figure out how to pump out a bunch of the towers at a much lower cost. I would likely use 2" net pots in towers. The zip grow towers seem like they would a little labor intensive for short turn-around crops(maybe better for long-term crops).

Of course this whole design of mine is oriented toward home use it would not be good for business(for fish).
    1. So easy fish harvesting for market is not on the mind here. Treating it like a pond/ecosystem is on the mind. You can go fishing to catch fish(like in a pond) (circle hooks/or have a hard pool instead of a liner)and trap for crustaceans.
    2. The system is a pool. It should be about as easy to clean as a pool is.
    3. I don't know if the milk crate baskets would eventually have problems or not. With the constantly flowing current on the outside... and the forced flow from the inside. The only way to see how it would work out is to build it. The solid lift overflow pipes would be best placed on the inside of the inner ring since that is where the solids will be collecting.

I would also likely put the water/fish tank deeper in the ground if using towers. Mainly to keep the grow towers in an easy to access height... and so I could install some flood/drain beds or raft beds if I wanted for expansion later on.

Or, you could just leave to pool up high/above ground and just build raft beds with air stones that are a few inches higher than the pool. Building solids catching/mineralization tanks in place of the IBC tanks in the drawing.

The design of the system outside of the main tank(feature of the drawing) is limited to the imagination.

Marty

8. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    zip towers main advantage is they can take an process solids so they end up being the main source of bio filtration as well, makes it easier then net pots as you need to still evenly disperse the water in the tower and have solids filtration (cant be any solids at all) to get no build up on the roots.

9. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    That is absolutely true from what I have seen. Zip grow towers have massive biological surface area for their size. Worms look like they love them too... which keeps them cleaned out.

Another potential way to use the zip towers is to get a 6ft or so tall water storage tank to use as a main fish tank. That would free up a lot of floor space as well. Then just have the classic CHOP system with a sump tank as the low spot at/below ground level. That way your solids lift overflow would dump solids directly into the towers. Could even hang towers above the sump tank to use all available space.

I would like doing it like that because I could install a window here and there for fun/customers/keeping an eye on fish health. My 25W water pump still moves 220 gallons an hour at a 6ft head height allegedly.

That amount of water would feed a lot of towers... that could dump into flood/drain beds... that could dump to DWC... to the sump.

10. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    just note as well you should be turning over the full volume of the fish tanks every 1 hour at least

11. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    That is right. My current system changes water about every 10 to 15 min even though it is low density. Normal tanks need that water change for both air and nitrification.

That sketchup design, however, would not. It has air production and all required surface area located in the same tank... allowing with a wonderful toilet swirling action for high water movement/minimizing dead spots(in theory). You could just fill the rest of the greenhouse with towers if wanted. Minimizing power requirements.

Zip grow towers (allegedly) only need about 7gal an hour of flow... during daylight hours only. That low flow is in a controlled environment though I bet.

12. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    OK folks. It CAN be done.

I just happened across this video on YouTube. What is that I see in the background? Looks like a 15ft pool in a massive Aquaponics operation in Milwaukee.

That being said... the water is swirling but I don't know what lay beneath. Lol

13. AquaJosh

AquaJosh New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne sth/east
    Just wondering how this is coming along? any updates, pictures etc. Looking at doing a similar thing with a 25,000 pool.

Cheers
    Josh

14. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Virginia
    City:
    Chesapeake
    I was just sharing and not actually building. I am in the military and have to move every few years. About to move again in a few months. I will not try anything of that magnitude till I retire from and get settled in somewhere.

If you go to my sketchup folder you can see something I may build first to gain experience. A good greenhouse design.