1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

What fish to buy in Perth

Discussion in 'Fish' started by uqji, Feb 10, 2017.

1. uqji

uqji New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Its in the middle of the summer and I am just ready to put some fingerlngs into my AP fish tank.
    Silver perch is well rounded specie in Perth as I heard from local shops. But I also heard that it's a very slow growing fish.
    So may I ask is there any particular better choice other than silver perch this time of the year?
    Winter is coming ... Looking at to have at least some harvest before Aug/Sep?

uqji

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    As far as edible fish are concerned, Silvers are your only option. It's way too late for Barra and about 3 months too early for Trout.

Silvers grow at varying rates, if you buy decent sized fingerlings you can have some at plate size in just 12 months, most will take around 18 months, and you'll have some stragglers that take 24 months. It depends a lot on what time of year you put them in as well.

omero.combi likes this.
  3. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi uqji,
    Silver perch growth rate is directly effected by feed and water quality. They are very disease resistant and school well feeding aggressively when kept properly . Yabbies is spot on regarding the staggered growth rates a captive school of silever perch will exhibit. Aquacultural growers regularly sort the fish by size and the growth rate of smaller fish usually excelerates after doing so.
    In my system "SP" grow fast , doubling their body weight monthly (approx) for their first year. I seperate them into 2x size groups after 6 months. The smaller group is usually about a month behind the first to reach harvest size .Averaging around 800grams in 12 months. Silver perch are well suited to aquaponics and a good choice IMO.
    Hope that helps.

Murray cod taste better though ; )
    Are they available in W.A?

4. uqji

uqji New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Thanks
    I have bought 12 silver perch sized 5cm to 10cm and put them in on Sunday.
    So far they seems happy and no casualties except one small fish is always quiet and away from the school.
    I feed them half of a teaspoon pellets in the morning. any suggestion on the feeding schedule. ?