1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aqua Zonic 1500watt heater

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by JBC, Jun 17, 2017.

1. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Has anyone tried these heaters? Are they reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. stevegoldy

stevegoldy New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Berri
    I haven't, but I will be, only because we are having solar panels installed next week. And even then only during the day when I can run it for free. 1.5kw per hour at 48cents (in SA) = $1036.80 over the winter quarter, if run 24/7. I'd rather have that money in my pocket

3. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    JBC is right on the costs of heating. That is one of the costs of AP and it needs to be minimized as much as possible. Fish choice can help a lot with that.

With regards to heating water, I found it to be a double edge sword of sorts. Heating the water causes increased evaporation which results in higher humidity which can cause you issues if AP is indoors. Just a watch out. I've changed to heating the total environment - part (or most) of the heating being from dehumidifier that recycle the water back to the tanks.

If you must heat the water itself, direct solar heating into the water using an exchanger design is the most economical option.

4. stevegoldy

stevegoldy New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Berri
    Hi Robert, not meaning to hijack jbc's thread, but have you tested the water from the dehumidifier, I have herd it can contain high nitrite and ammonia.
    I would be interested in the results
    As for the heater JBC are you sure you need one? SE Queensland doesn't really get that cold unlike here in the Riverland, we have had two weeks of-2 deg minimum an my 10/SP are doing fine
    My water temp has bottomed out at 10degC
    I'm currently trialling a direct solar
    One good tip that Terra gave me. If running a bell siphon, remove the bell during cold nights
    This stops the cold air being drawn into the GB. This is good for retaining at least a couple degrees

5. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Never tested the water - been doing this for years. Doubt seriously it could cause an issue in the system because of ammonia / nitrites (it's not THAT much water) but I'll test simply because you've sparked my curiousity.

6. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Im in Ipswich and gets in the minus temp in the mornings, this is for my next setup were I plan to have Barra in it looking to use heater as a backup but as I think about it more I might look at running multiple 300watt to spread out heating across tank plus gives more redundancy if heater fails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk