Murray Hallam INDY 23 System - Plans and Building Instructions
SKU INDY23 Plan Set
The Indy 23 is the ultimate home food-production system, with 23 sqm (250 sqf) of growing area and the capacity to comfortably raise 50 kg (110 lbs) of fish per year.
All types of plants are catered for in the design with a combination of media beds, raft (DWC) beds and wicking beds.
The system's twin fish tanks let you grow two separate type of fish at the same time, or have two lots of the same fish at different stages of growth, allowing for consistent supply for the table.
This design is the result of eight years of continuing research, trials and actual food production. As our name “Practical Aquaponics” implies, we have actually built and successful run productive Indy 23 systems for years. This is a proven system, which has been taken up by builders and users all over the world. It can be built by anyone with a moderate level of skill in basic construction, and with access to commonly-available materials.
It is also an excellent basis for a larger farm - just duplicate the system as many times as you need!
The 38 full-colour A3 pages of the Plan Set include detailed instructions and complete lists of quantities needed. A plumbing layout is included, and every fitting is listed.
Each Plan Set has its own unique registration number, and is personally signed by Murray Hallam.
If you want to spare yourself the running around to get all the materials, our INDY 23 FLAT PACK contains all the construction materials needed to build the Indy 23 system (excluding the tanks and barrels), right down to screws, glue and thread tape! We can send it anywhere in the world.
Here is a portion of the INDY plan set that you may find useful.
Congratulations on purchasing the Indy Fish Garden 23 plan set. The Indy 23 will provide you with an abundant source of fresh food for many years. However, before you get started there are a few things to think about when you start out on a project like this.
1. You will need approximately 16m x Sm (52'6" x 16'6") of space to install the Indy Fish Garden 23. This will allow room for access to all parts of your system, to be able to walk around and work around the system easily.
2. If you live in the southern hemisphere having your Indy Fish Garden 23 north facing is best. If you live in the northern hemisphere then having your Indy Fish Garden 23 facing south is the way to go. If you can't face it that way then it's not the end of the world.
3. We are dealing with a lot of water in the Indy Fish Garden 23 so it is imperative that your site be level. Your sumps, grow beds and fish tanks are open and if your site is not level then you will have water pouring out onto the ground.
4. The Indy Fish Garden 23 requires electricity to run the pump, aerator, failover switch and battery charger. You will need to have it close to an electrical power source, if not you will need to have the power run to the building site from your source of mains power. Please use a licensed electrician if you need to run mains power. The power supply needs to be at the fish tank end of your site.
5. Water is also needed to be easily accessible to fill up and maintain optimum water levels in your Indy Fish Garden 23 whether it is from a dam, tank, well, or town water supply. If you need help from a plumber to get water to your system then please make sure he is licensed.
6. The plans that you have with you are a replication of the system we have at Practical Aquaponics and the dimensions that we have given are what we used to build our system. You do not need to place everything exactly as we have done as we have allowed extra space to have large groups of people through our greenhouse. So when you install your system understand that these plans are a guide for you, but if you follow them exactly you will have an excellent result.
READ more about the INDY 23 system HERE