1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Barramundi in Ipswich qld

Discussion in 'Fish' started by JBC, May 14, 2017.

1. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Hi, I'm new to AP just wondering if anyone has keep Barra in there system in Ipswich? I have keep them in fish tanks before and know they require a lot of heating in winter just curious if anyone has done the process of working out what it ruffley cost to heat them in an ap system with 1000litre tank?

I am planning on building larger system once I have learned the ropes on smaller one (def getting Murray's plans for large system), I wish to have a large tank inside a shed and grow beds outside in green house. I figure to only drain and flood when temperatures are above 10deg to help with heat loss.

Just would like to know if dreams of big Barra can be reality in Ipswich?

Cheers

2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi JBC ,
    Barra outdoors in tanks south of Rockhampton are problematic at best. They really struggle to do much at all below 15c. Their metabolic rate slows so much they just tend to just sit , they become listless stop feeding and eventually die. They also become vunerable to diseases like white spot once weakened by the cold. If well conditioned before winter they may well survive the low temps but will lose a lot of weight by spring.
    Sun exposure and ambient temp will obviously effect your water temp , having said that I live 30 mins from Ipswich so our climates are very similar and I've done some experimenting regarding winter temp and electric heating in IBC's . For the experiment I used 3x IBC's, 600L per tank postioned under a carport style roof but exposed on all sides (so no frost directly on them) and using electric aquarium heaters through an entire winter .
    I found.
    1x watt per litre will (on average) raise the temp of the water by no more than 5 degrees above ambient temp in winter. So 600w of heating per IBC could cost as much as $3 dollars a day ( calculated at 14.kWh a day X $0.22 per kWh ) . Not really great value considering a tank heated this way may only reach a daytime max temp 15C in winter and far lower at night.
    Bottom line is the economics just don't add up mate.
    I have trailed (unseated) Silver perch , Barcoo grunter (jade perch) and Murray cod and found all will slow metabolically in winter but all three species will survive.
    I now chose to grow Murray cod exclusively , if stocked properly they perform well in our climate and taste the best of all three.
    NOTE : bass taste even better and do well in cold water but man they grow slow.
    Cheers
    Hope that helps !

JBC likes this.
  3. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Thanks Ringer,

That does help a lot, how's the growth rate of the cod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi JBC,

I grew barramundi in the winter here in Adelaide.

I found under 22 C they start to struggle, under 20 C it's not good and I accidently killed one by letting the water get under 17 C.
    I had 2 X 300 watt aquarium heaters in 2 x 500 litre fish tanks with a similar sized gravel exposed grow bed. plus filtration.

Yes, the metabolic rate slows down and barramundi seem to be very effected when the temperature of their water drops.
    I couldn't tell you the costs as my main objective was to see if I could grow the fish in the winter time. I didn't notice much of a rise in the electricity bill though.
    Personally, I wouldn't try it again BTW, but that shouldn't stop you from at least trying but when you do, please make sure the temp of the water is kept at a good temperature for them.

Bottom line is; I wouldn't let the water temp get under 20C and try my hardest to keep it at 22 C plus.

Cheers.

5. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich

Thanks mate,

Did you have your FT inside? Also did you stop cycling during night?

6. baseman1703

baseman1703 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    While I haven't really tried Barra I did have a couple which through my urgency to get my system up and running I lost. But I live in Karratha WA and fish for Barra up here. Our water gets down to around 20c during our winter and though there still here very rarely caught. Once the temp comes back up usually around 27c is when we start fishing for them. Our creeks get up to 30-35c at the peak of summer and it's always the warmer the better the bite.
    I have Mangrove Jack in my system at the moment all sourced from local fresh water streams and there interesting. My next will be Barra.
    Even now my water is around 24c so we don't need to hear. Lucky us our winter temp is around 30c and rarely drops overnight below 18c

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi JBC,

No, the tanks were outside on my pergola and no, I did not stop cycling at night. Well actually, on the wet cold and windy nights I did and that did help. The rest of the time no I didn't. The issue is cycling during the cold because exposed grow beds act like sort of a giant radiator. I would be keeping a very careful eye on the water quality if I did turn the cycling off. I had no problems with that by the way but was keen to jump on any issues straight away and correct appropriately if there happened to be any.

Search way back through this forum as well if you want to. have a look at bigdaddy's barra or the like, I can't remember exactly what I labelled it, but there is some good helpful conversation there for you to read and off course, feel free to ask us any and as many questions you want and as usual, we'll do our best to answer them for you.

Keep us updated on your progress hey?

Cheers.

JBC likes this.
  8. JBC

JBC New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Thanks Bigdaddy

I have a small system at the moment with silver perch in it, just to iron out teething issues (there has been a few) before i start my larger system which I'm hoping to start in September once weather has warmed up.

I have plenty of shed space so I'm hoping to put a 3000L round tank inside one of the sheds then pipe to grow beds outside, I was also thinking of having a couple of grow beds under lights in the shed so I can still cycle during the night without as much heat loss.

Cheers