1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Commercial Aquaponics farm in Botswana

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Theunis van Rensburg, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Theunis van Rensburg

Theunis van Rensburg New Member

Botswana
    State:
    Kweneng
    City:
    Mogoditshane
    Hi, I'm living in Botswana where it is a dessert, very hot and dry. I recently bought a small piece of land and the only thing I could think of is to go super intensive with some farming to make this 7000 Square meter a viable farming operation. I'm an Irrigation engineer and also farms with cattle, goats and poultry. I have a fully fledge metal workshop that manufactures all kinds of thinks for famers out of steel. One of the products are steel structures and I also builds with bricks and cement. For many years I was designing and building irrigation systems. I recently got to know about Aquaponics and the bug has bitten me and this is the way I want to go on this small farm. My problem is that my knowledge of Aquaponics, Hydroponics and Aquaculture is Zero. I just joined this forum and would really appreciate all the help I can get in designing and building the project. There is absolutely nobody in Botswana who can help me. I tried even the Ministry of Agriculture but couldn't find any help. The first thing that I did was to determine what will be the largest structure I can build on the farm that will allow maximum sun on the plants.. It came to 36m x 67m. In Botswana the Sun is shining from the North to the South and is in summer almost direct above. It moves from East to South. The structure will lined on the North South line in its length. My plan is to make the fishtanks and filters in the South end and the beds and rafts will be from South to North inside the structure. The beds and rafts will be about 4' (1.2m) wide inside and with an 800mm passage between. Am I on the right direction?

2. Rainsford

Rainsford New Member

South Africa
    State:
    Gauteng
    City:
    Cullinan
    Greetings Theunis, was wondering if you have started your Aquaponics system yet? I am in Cullinan South Africa, and I am also interested in starting a system, just not sure where to implement it, I have been scouting around, and I think Botswana has huge potential. Regards, Kevin