1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My barrelponics setup.

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by Captain Crunch, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch New Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi guys and girls,
    Wanted to share my setup for those who may be interested :).
    Very awesome forum too. I'm very new to this and kinda wing it a bit but had some advice of mate that has ibc setup, anyways thought I'd try a little barrelponic setup to see how things go.
    Frame and wood i used plain pallets and stained with vinegar/steel wool (different batches so bit multi-coloured)and barrels I get from work only cost with this was pvc piping and a cheap pump off ebay (qb60) so bit lucky. I live in qld so third of tank(220l) I put into ground and boxed up rest with some insulation to help fish's, grow beds just barrel cut in half, vertical gb for strawberries
    Used 20-25mm aggregate for gb
    And have goldfish in tank
    System been running for 2months and seems to be going good added plants 2weeks ago and seem to be going alright so far,
    Have pump run for 35mins every 1.5hrs plants and fish seem okay but keeping eye on it. PH still high 7 but slowly coming down been doing what yabbies has been doing with his, using acid so bucket at 6pH for top ups.
    Plants I have in it.
    Strawberries, lettuce, chives, spring onions, spinach, Sunflowers - wasn't sure how these would go threw packet of seed in one area and gone kinda crazy. Very happy with system next plans are setting it up to go solar powered.also added shade cloth to help with summer, rocks getting pretty hot.
    Hope you like. DSC_0512.jpg DSC_0513.jpg DSC_0677.jpg DSC_0709.jpg DSC_0678.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. omero.combi

omero.combi New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Very clever setup CC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. DanaPT

DanaPT New Member

us
    State:
    ca
    City:
    laguna
    I like the design has some really good elements (the towers, gravity, use of material). Look forward to seeing how things evolve, so I hope you continue to share your progress.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Captain Crunch,

How's your Barrelponics going?

Cheers.

5. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch New Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Brisbane
    All going good, need to get me own tester running blind at Mo but everything thing seems to be good been using me pool PH test to get by PH@ 6.9 today
    DSC_0789.jpg
    Strawberries towers need modifying only have few shoots going, plans to put some plastic dividers in as they are getting way to much water see photos but other projects have delayed it will make up something soon and try again thinking of angled basket out of 90mm down pipe to get some dry gravel for them or if someone has idea let me know much appreciated :)
    But everything thing else good.oh has been using 20litres a week checked for leaks and all good would it just be evaporation? Has been handy as top up water for getting PH right,
    Had to take Sunflowers out was going to crazy gave away and keept some put into pots these are best ones.
    DSC_0788_1.jpg
    Here's some pics of how rest is going
    Spring onions been good one harvest already same as lettuce but growth on them slowed heat may have slowed as they burnt a bit over few hot days we had,rest all good though
    Beetroot,corn spinach garlic and herbs seem good. Thanks for support and update again in few months saved spot for blue berry bush so going to see how it goes in early system

Attached Files: