1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Swapping water between aquaponics and aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by Luke84, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Hello Team.

Just did a water test in the AP and the Aquarium. Results were all normal (for me) in the AP as follows.
    PH 6.7
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

Aquarium
    PH 6.7
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40ppm

So was wondering, if I swap my AP and Aquarium water do you think that will be OK? Will do 100-120ltr from the aquarium. AP fish tank is roughly 600ltr so it should dilute down pretty well.

Was thinking the water with the high nitrate might give the plants a bit of a boost in the AP. Nitrate levels in the AP are at 0 which is good for the fish ( but know that it's not a massive issue) but I am suspect that the plants aren't getting enough out of the nitrogen cycle due to possible low stocking (another thing I'm researching)

Alternatively I could use the water from the aquarium to water the pot plants and lawn as it will be full of nutrients.

Has anyone done this previously or have any views? Happy to be the lab rat if need be. Can't see anything to catastrophic happening IMO.

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    I've always used water removed from my aquariums during water changes to water potplants and things in the garden; they seem to love it, lavender and citrus especially. I did use a couple of bucketfuls from my big aquarium to bump up the nitrate levels in my teeny test system, and it worked great, but you have to be 100% certain that there's nothing in your aquarium (pest snails, disease, etc) that you wouldn't want introduced into your aquaponics.

3. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Thanks Mel. I've got a couple redclaw in my system so they would love the snails lol. Yep pretty confident the aquarium is disease free. Fish appear happy and plants are growing well.

4. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Luke ,
    Try cleaning your fish tank filter in a bucket of water filled from your AP system . Leave the bucket of dirty water stand over night , all of the large particles will settle to the bottom . Then pour off the clear top water back in to your system. You get some nutrient and bacterial benefits in to your system without the dirty particulate . Don't dump the rest though, I pour the sludgy stuff left in the bucket in to a watering can , top it up with rain water and use it to water my stag horns , crows nest , ferns and orchids. They love it.

Luke84 likes this.
  5. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Cheers ringer. I've got a HOB filter and usually hose it out on the lawn but the other part that is built for keeping the bacteria I give a good couple of taps on the concrete so as to lose to much bacteria. Will definitely give the rest of the filter housing a scrub as described though now you mention it. Cheers

6. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Luke ,
    All I use is H.O.B. style filters in fish tanks and aquaponics , they are the best for a couple of reasons. Try a 30mm layer of filter sponge fitted in tight over your media on the outflow side of the filter . It will collect a surprising amount of ......um , crud. I have designed my own and use six of them in my system ATM they're a game changer , my system simply wouldn't work without them. I'll talk more about them soon just prototyping now , they'll be ready for sale in the not to distant future.
    Cheers

Luke84 likes this.
  7. Luke84

Luke84 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Northern Territory
    City:
    Darwin
    Hello Team. Yep all good on the water swap front. Plants got the little boost they needed and no change in the fish (apart from putting 9 barramundi in the AP).

On a little side note, has the AP water had a little bit of seasol in it so the aquarium plants would have gotten some nutrients as well. They are going god as well