1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Trout wont eat skretting 5mm - alternatives urgent

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TonyGrunk, Oct 17, 2016.

1. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk New Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    My trout are now about 7 inches long and I ran out of the 2mls floating food - so I bought some 5mm skretting - but they wont go near it. I have tried breaking it up into smaller bits but still no good. Tried some 2mm goldfish floating food but also no good. Tried some bread as well but they dont bite.

I have ordered some new 2mm but it will take a week to get here!

Anyone have any alternatives I can go with until my order arrives?

Thanks.

2. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk New Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    so decided to hook up a naked bulb over the set up - seeing if the bugs will drop into the water - so far a few have - we might have a winner until the pellets arrive.

MickyD and Clive Denholm like this.
  3. Clive Denholm

Clive Denholm Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Whittlesea
    Very creative :)

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Maybe they are just not hungry enough.

5. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Tony,
    I don't have an alternative sorry bud. The lights should help , I have solar lights over all my ponds as bug lures and it works well to supplement the pellet only diet of my fish.
    I always make changes to a fishes diet very gradually . When the time comes to use a larger pellet I maintain my original feeding routine just adding a small amount of the new bigger pellet and feeding both sizes at the same time. Over a couple of weeks , each day I replace around 10% more of the old feed with the new. Don't stress to much though, fish can easily go a week without eating so I don't think they're in any danger of starving. I use a starve day once a week to maintain healthy fish feeding aggression and gut function and as a bonus my systems micro culture seems to benefit from the break also.
    Hope that helps
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    nballagh likes this.
  6. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk New Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    many thanks for that advice!