1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate seed starting station

Discussion in 'Established Aquaponics systems' started by Parknet, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Parknet

Parknet New Member

US
    State:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis
    I have an indoor hobby system that is pretty standard. 6'x6'x1' grow beds under a 1000w lamp attached to 200 gallons of fish tanks and a 100 gallon sump. All good. But I found that keeping up with new seedlings for replacement plants was a pain. So, I added this station for making new starts. I have enough room in here to keep my indoor system supplied and have plenty of extra room to start my outdoor garden stuff as well and maybe leave some smaller herbs around the edges to mature.

This is a 6'x2'x8" poplar box lined with dura-skrim and filled with hydroton. I have switched to using expanded shale in my main system as it is super cheap here in Indiana but I had this left over. This is probably way overkill and I could have made much smaller system but this give me flexibility to mature out herbs or whatever if I don't need so may seedlings. I attached it to the single pump supply line and it drains into the sump. Flood and drain with a bell siphon.

Again, hobby system so not super concerned w/ the inefficient cost of running these lights. Hoping to switch to LED in the future.

[​IMG]

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...:thumbsup2:

3. Blackfox

Blackfox New Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Rural
    Look great, is that an old fish tank stand you are using?

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Looking good Parknet.

5. JaydenTan

JaydenTan New Member

Malaysia
    State: