1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Urgent Tomato Problem

Discussion in 'What Pest is that ?' started by alvin, May 12, 2014.

1. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    Can you help identify this pest?
    is this blight?
    it has very small yellowish worm around the leaves. (see picture)
    how to get fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    I cam barely see it, but it looks like a looper. DiPel should take care of it.

3. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    added a new picture. I think we do not have dipel here in the Philippines, but ill try to find another substitute.
    tried chili spray this morning hope it works.
    I still do not know what kind of pest in the tomatoes. do not think its a looper.

4. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    They are thrips and lots of them. You really need to find out what species of thrips they are as some are harder to control than others. You could try an oil type spray such as Eco-Oil but you will need to do this regularly as they do move and you may not hit all of them. How did the chilli spray work? With that much damage in the photoes you are almost better ripping the plants out and starting again.

Best of luck

John

5. Leo Crauss

Leo Crauss New Member

Try planting nasturtiums near your tomato patches . They are a natural insecticide which will kill pests that mess with your tomatoes

6. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    could you come over to my place and tell the bugs attacking my tomatoes that please? my nastutiums are growing wild but have no effect on tomato pests for me

7. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Alvin , with an infestation like that I'd cut my losses pull the plant and despose of it in the rubbish bin. Sometimes the battle just isn't worth fighting even if you get them under control your yield will be affected and a replacement plant would probably grow and fruit in less time than it would take for the original plant to recover if it does.
    Cheers