1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..

Wow... we are just so far behind these guys...

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics Systems USA & Canada' started by RupertofOZ, Mar 17, 2011.

1. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Here's another cracker... http://www.fishyfarm.com/

Seems to have developed a revolutionary new concept...

Apparantly this is different from "aquaponics"... because...

Claims to not only have a revolutionary new process CEF... "Continous Ebb & Flow"

A "patent pending on a revolutionary new device...

And is described as an "Automated Production Systems".....

It's a "Chift Pist/Chop" system... click on "How it works"... http://www.fishyfarm.com/index.php/our-products?page=shop.browse&category_id=3

And then there's this... in case you might be worried about the untreated wood... or that it's like every other aquaponics system...

So you heard it hear first folks.....

Well... apparantly you didn't... it was all developed over the last couple of years by some fishy people on a farm in Oregon... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    What a break through !!!!
    Why oh why didn't we think of that ???????

Fancy having worms in the system.....I bet they are a special type of worm that is found only in a certain canyon in a remote part of the Rocky Mountains that can only be harvested on a Thursday when there is a full moon. His grandfather stumbled across this place while chasing a runaway donkey back in the gold rush days, carefully noting the details on the underside of his inner sole of the boots he obtained from a china man boot maker.

Coincidently, this same hidden canyon is where they found the special wood trees that they now use to make the fish tanks and grow beds. They are treated trees.

I am blown away...why did you have to tell us all that Rupert? We could have carried on....not knowing....and been somewhat happy with our lot.
    We will have to throw it over to our own home grown analyst who will reveal that new invention this is nothing more than a myth.

James Doerflinger likes this.
  3. orcy2010

orcy2010 Guest

apart from the fact that nothing they have is patentable (unless the inside coating is indeed a new tech, which I doubt), and some of the claims are noting new, and the tank and growbeds look very small and SUPER expensive.....

The tanks and BGs they have are actually pretty good looking for someone who doesnt think that a fibregalss tank in the backyard is what they want to see everyday when they go out to the balcony.

4. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Kiind of my thoughts too .
    Now as soon as I looked at the picture of their special super dupper liner material I knew what it was , Sprayable truck bed liner and I did find this info on Line-X companies site.
    " Is LINE-X Environmentally friendly?

Yes. LINE-X uses no VOCs (i.e. possible health hazards) or CFCs (i.e. which can damage the ozone layer). Additionally LINE-X is approved for use in food preparation and has been certified for use in potable (drinking) water systems."

Now that did get me to thinking I do have a full sized GM pick up bed laying around that one of the exterior panels was damaged but the inside is fine . Maybe I should weld a tailgate in ,seem seal it and spray a bed liner in ! I could even toss a set of mags in the wheel wells and put a license plate "FI**** " :(

I.m sure as AP get more press, A-holes like this will be popping up right and left all claiming expert status and the fact They invented it :D . Since I don't have any of them patent fancy stuff I guess I will just go feed my fish and sulk :frown:
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

5. Benno

Benno Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yep and patent pending. :24locos:

6. kellenw

kellenw Member

Howdy Mike,

I believe most of the the truck bed liner stuff is made of neoprene. There is a neoprene based product marketed specifically as "fish safe" called WetSuit, but it's extremely expensive from what I could tell. Some of the plywood fish tank builders have started using it, and claim it is fantastic stuff. Makes me wonder how much this Line-X stuff would cost as it sounds like exactly the same thing.

7. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Kellen
    Line-X is one of the more expensive brands of bed liner .The other problem is they are a franchise ,so big bucks just to buy the product . Now that being said I'm sure with some research there may be other companies that their product may be safe too ,but that would take some digging . The average for doing a pick up bed is between 300-600 $ ,so unless you had a cheap supplier for the materials it would still run much more than using pond liner .Still an option ,but maybe not a cost effective one in the long run .Still something I may look into for a safe ,cost effective use . No great hopes with the cost of pond liner vs the sprayable liner but it would give you color options !
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

8. kellenw

kellenw Member

You could also try Blue Max by Ames. It is a rubber based product and potable water safe. The nice thing is that it has a light blue color when underwater, much like pool paint. It runs about $180 for a 5 gallon bucket. I've used it for some projects, and I like it a lot for certain things.

9. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

And you could get photos of plants printed on it to make the fish happy

10. kellenw

kellenw Member

Hehe... Artwork for the fish.... what's next... :)

11. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Kellen
    At least it's cheap enough to play with ,so have you used it for anything fishy ?

I was thinking maybe an underwater amusement park ,case they get bored swimming around :D

Have A Kind Day
    Mike

12. kellenw

kellenw Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've used the Blue Max product for several plywood based filter boxes. I've also used it to seal a small garden pond. All have held up well so far. The only thing I've found it not to handle well is coating fiberglass/epoxy. After about a month or two, it starts to peel off and bubble. I've been working with a friend of mine designing several sieve filter prototypes out of plywood and reinforced with fiberglass. I tried painting the fiberglass/epoxy with Blue Max. The Blue Max is peeling away pretty badly after about 2 months of testing them. Technically, not a problem since they are just for testing purposes and the actual production units will be made from polyethylene or something similar, but still worth mentioning.

Underwater amusement park, eh? Rides and all? hehe

13. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

wow the only difference between that "fancy" setup and mine is that i built mine from crap laying around the yard, maybe i should contact NASA and see if they will sponsor my garbage collecting hobby because apparently its science!

14. onehellofafisherman

onehellofafisherman Member

I can get those same special worms at a very special price

I get those same special worms at a very special price Whistling

they look a lot like normal earthworms to the average person but thats where it ends :genius:

They are very special, I can sell you a breeding pair for the very special price of only $50, or a carton of beers.

but wait theres more...... I'll even throw in a set of crappy steak knives. If you purchase today.

You had better hurry or you might be even more disapointed

:(

15. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Do you also run a university in wormology....

16. Rob's Green Thumb

Rob's Green Thumb New Member

To amesresearch.com

Im going to be building an aquaponics set up and I was hopeing that once cured your blue max product would be fish and plant safe. The plan is to use it to line the grow beds mainly each grow bed will have about 150 gal. size and will also hold about 1000 lbs. of rock in addition to the constant ebb and flow of the water running thru the beds. Also would the rock resting on the bottom layer of the blue max cause any problems.

nicole@amesresearch.com

Robert, Good morning. We have not tested your application so I would not be able to tell you for sure it would work. It is potable water compliant but hasn’t been fully tested for fish. I have heard of people using it in fish tanks with no problems but it is something we have not tested. The product is a liquid rubber so all the rock on it might be a problem. If it moves at all it could damage it. Unfortunately it would be something you would have to test to ensure it works to your satisfaction. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you.

17. Rob's Green Thumb

Rob's Green Thumb New Member

So maybe its good wish they had more info I was mostly asking for the most extreame thing it could be used for in an AP system. If it could line a grow bed then you know its tough stuff ^_^

18. mrcooper81

mrcooper81 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Wa
    City:
    Mandurah
    I know this is old, but where did you guys source your blue max from in oz? I can't seem to find a distributor anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mrcooper81

mrcooper81 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Wa
    City:
    Mandurah
    You guys seen this?

Or this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk